Super sediment infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMucus

Reaction score
Howdy. I bottled some beers about a week ago and since I put em in the fridge they all have a pretty thick layer of sediment at the bottom. It isn't the solid kind. It floats all stringy when I move the bottle.Is this an infection or just extra yeast(I did a 1 stage fermentation with a nottingham packet)?Tastes alright and has plenty of carbonation.

An infection wouldn't develop after a week in the bottle....and if it was an infection you'd see it as a ring around the neck of the bottle.

Why is your beer in the fridge after only one week? You're putting the yeasts to sleep before they can even carb and condition your beer...That's why your yeast is so thick in the bottom, the cold has pulled it out of suspension before it did it's job..

3 weeks @ 70 degrees is the minimum time recommended before chilling.

Take a read of this, it'll explain why.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

Thanks that link helped. I usually just test a bottle after awhile and if I get a hiss I start drinkin em! I wiill take the beers out of the fridge and let em age for a couple more weeks. Thanks for the quick reply
Cheers:mug:

How long did you let your fermentation last? Did you use a bottling bucket?

Secondaries are for the purpose of letting a lot of this sediment (Yeast) settle out so it doesn't end up in the bottle. And if you didn't give it enough time in the primary, it would have all settled out in the bottle, like it appears it may have done.

And definately take them out of the fridge.

its probably a different yeast strain than what you've used before.

different yeasts form sediment differently. some are very compact, and almost hard...others are fluffy and take forever to fully settle.

How cold is your fridge? I had some beers partially freeze once and they had a thick, loose layer of sediment on the bottom like yours.

I let the beer ferment in single 6.5 gallon bucket for about 3 weeks. This time I had used some corriander and orange zest in the boil.My hydrometer broke so I kind of just waited until the airlock was bubbling less than once every 3 minutes.
I used 7# of pale malt and 2# of brown sugar. I did not use secondary but most of the sediment was on the bottom so the beer was clear in the bottle. I am kind of wondering if this stuff will reabsorb into the beer or what. I know that this has also happened in the freezer but I didn't think the fridge would do it. I fermented the batch at 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit.The temp after waiting a week for conditioning was about 42 F in the refrigerator.

Back