Super Low Gravity Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoryno7

Reaction score
Last night after bottling my latest batch of Saison, I took a look at the yeast cake and decided that I didnt want to let it go to waste. I gathered up all the random grain I had around the house and some hops and decided to make a beer to pitch on top of this yeast (WLP565).

I ended up with 8 oz of wheat malt and 10 oz of German Pilsner. I did some calculations and ended up shooting for 1 gal of a very light Saison with a target OG of 1.032. I mashed and sparged but am not used to working with this little grain and overestimated how much water would be lost to the soaked grain, ending up with too much wort. I did a 90 min boil and had a final gravity of 1.022, which is really stinking low. I decided to go ahead and pitch and see what happens.

I guess my question is what is this beer going to be like? I could have boiled it to nothing to get my target OG (1.032) or should I just have dumped it. My main concerns are tanins from oversparging, overbittering from the hop additions (.1oz of Hallertau at 60, 30 and 5) and too light a body since 565 finished super low with regular gravity beers.

Any thoughts?

FYI, I've been brewing small batch (2 gal) all grain for almost a year.

This beer ended up very interesting. FG of 1.001. I had a friend say it reminded him of a Czech Pilsner, probably from the Saaz hops. Probably wont brew again, but not bad for a bunch of leftover ingredients thrown together.

Back