Super low effeciency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
So I brewed today and got terrible efficiency. I typically get around 70%-75%. Today I did everything the same as I usually do and measured around 50%! The only thing I can think of is that I picked up my crushed grains from the LHBS almost a week ago. That much lag time between crushing grains and using them shouldn't make a big difference should it?

Your crushed grains could sit for months and still be good for mashing with no loss of efficiency.

When you buy crushed grains from the LHBS, you expect their mill to be set the same every time but as you probably know by now that isn't the case. When you use the same process and get wildly varying efficiency always suspect the crush because most often you will be right.

I figured as much. First time I've bought grains from this particular LHBS. I suppose it'll be the last.

And a different LHBS than usual? Definitely the crush.

No need to stop giving this shop your business. A poor crush is a pretty lousy reason to stop going to a LHBS. Rather, this is a good reason to buy your own mill, so you can ensure a good consistent crush. No matter how good the LHBS, you simply can't rely on a good crush from anyone buy yourself.

Poor crush lowers efficiency.

Lower efficiency requires more grain to make up the loss.

LHBS sells more grain.

After what I've seen over the years regarding the Corona style mills, there is no reason not to have a mill.

All the best,
D. White

After what I've seen over the years regarding the Corona style mills, there is no reason not to have a mill.

What are your thoughts on the Corona mills? I know they are usually cheaper but do they suffer on quality? Are they adjustable down to a fine enough crush?

What are your thoughts on the Corona mills? I know they are usually cheaper but do they suffer on quality? Are they adjustable down to a fine enough crush?

I have one laying around I never used. I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Tons of people use them with great success. I bought a cereal killer when it was on sale, so I never ended up using the corona.

What is the recipe? I get lower efficiency when I use large percentage of wheat malt in my grain bill. I did some research and found that is normal.

A corona is what I use, and it works great. It takes a little bit to get it set, but once set, mine has been completely terrible free for over 50 batches thus far.

And once you start milling your own, you can start buying unmilled barley in bulk and save a ton of money on brew days... And have a wide variety of grain available at any given time.

Back