Super-Kleer ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikonis

Reaction score
I've been browsing the forums for a bit now, but haven't posted. I'm on my 4th batch of homebrew now (Apple Kolsch). This is the first time that I decided to use Super Kleer. I put it in the secondary last night. I have only been bottle conditioning (just ordered my kegging supplies).

I just have a question. I have read somewhere (I cannot remember where) that super-kleer won't leave enough yeast to bottle condition. Is this true?

I have a few days before I could rack it to anything and was wondering also if I should just wait until my kegging stuff arrives so I can force carbonate the kolsch.

I don't think Super Kleer is common in beer making, so I don't have much advice to give. It's often used in winemaking, but most people don't carbonate wines so I can't tell you the effects it will have on carbonation and flavor. Kieselsol and chitosan are often used in wines to clarify. One is positively charged, the other negatively charged, so it would remove all the particles in the wine. I would think that it would affect the bottling conditioning, so I'd keg it if I could. Otherwise, I don't have any advice.

Some people think that finings can strip not just the proteins/yeast/etc that make cloudy beer but that they can also strip flavor. I've never had a beer yet that needed finings beyond kettle finings, but I'd try gelatin before a big gun like Super Kleer.

I guess I will just wait and keg it. In the past 24 hrs, the kolsch has become crystal clear. I just had the superkleer and decided to throw it in for this batch. I normally wouldn't even care.
Thanks for the responses!

Back