Super High Attenuation From Harvested S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrueDude

Reaction score
I harvested and washed some S-04 and pitched one jar into a blonde. It finished in 6 days at 1.002 (from 1.043). The yeast was originally pitched into an ESB. I pitched a Scottish export on top of the ESB yeast cake. I harvested that yeast, and pitched it into another Scottish Export. The current incarnation of this yeast came from the second Scottish Export, so this yeast has been around. Would this account for the 95% apparent attenuation?

I'd believe the yeast pitched was well acclimated to an alcoholic environment. Your other entry posted to "The Beginning Brewers" thread stated you'd gotten a 5% ABV.

Some ale yeasts can go above their stated attenuation rates under the right circumstances. I've used S-05 with an estimated attenuation rate of 81% and stated tolerance of 9.5% ABV as a mead yeast and found the actual apparent attenuation was higher. As a matter of fact, the mead ended up around 14% ABV.

Back