Super Fast Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks. I just brewed (BIAB ) an Irish Red Ale (NB AG recipe, but not the kit), OG = 1.045. I hydrated the Nottingham dry yeast in 1 cup of DME wort at 70°, and it was foaming up nice before the boil was done. I pitched at 70°, the carboy was churning within a few hours, and I had krausen the next day. After 2 days in a dark, 70° closet, krausen dissipated, trub settled, and the beer began to clarify with very few bubbles on the surface and virtually no airlock activity. I just took a sample at 1 week and got 1.014. I don't have a target FG, but that seems pretty reasonable. My question is: why so fast, and should I let it go another week before secondary? Thanks in advance!

I might have just answered my own questions. I currently have 4.1% abv. Give it a swirl and wait a week, I might get to 1.011 or so which would give me 4.5%. I know, I know, brewing takes patience.

If the room was 70* the beer temp was likely warmer. No mystery really, Notty + low gravity beer + high ferm temp = fast. I can't think of a reason to secondary an Irish red but up to you.

The closet was 68°, the fermentometer on the glass carboy said 70°, probably hit 72° while I wasn't looking. That, plus happy yeast = fast, I guess. What would you expect for a FG? Think it'll get down to 1.010ish?

with the right conditions, fermentation can be done in just a few days. You might want to leave it for a couple of more weeks to "clean up"... and unless you're adding something else, or just like transferring, leave it in the primary. Secondary is more trouble than it's worth.

I use Nottingham allot and all i can say is I give it a bunch of oxygen, ferment cold around 60 and let it munch, never had a problem with it stalling or dying. if too warm it will give off a flavor and cut the hops flavor in half but if not brewing a hoppy beer works out well, always seem to be in the 7 day range for me

For me, Nottingham was always quick to start, but took its time to finish. With a clear surface after just two or three days, it was still fermenting slowly and quietly for about a week. Don't let the yeast trick you into bottling too early!

Latest posts

Back