Super Fast Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Keith66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks. I just brewed (BIAB ) an Irish Red Ale (NB AG recipe, but not the kit), OG = 1.045. I hydrated the Nottingham dry yeast in 1 cup of DME wort at 70°, and it was foaming up nice before the boil was done. I pitched at 70°, the carboy was churning within a few hours, and I had krausen the next day. After 2 days in a dark, 70° closet, krausen dissipated, trub settled, and the beer began to clarify with very few bubbles on the surface and virtually no airlock activity. I just took a sample at 1 week and got 1.014. I don't have a target FG, but that seems pretty reasonable. My question is: why so fast, and should I let it go another week before secondary? Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Keith66

Keith66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I might have just answered my own questions. I currently have 4.1% abv. Give it a swirl and wait a week, I might get to 1.011 or so which would give me 4.5%. I know, I know, brewing takes patience.

chickypad

lupulin shift victim
Reaction score
If the room was 70* the beer temp was likely warmer. No mystery really, Notty + low gravity beer + high ferm temp = fast. I can't think of a reason to secondary an Irish red but up to you.

OP
OP
Keith66

Keith66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The closet was 68°, the fermentometer on the glass carboy said 70°, probably hit 72° while I wasn't looking. That, plus happy yeast = fast, I guess. What would you expect for a FG? Think it'll get down to 1.010ish?

jtratcliff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
with the right conditions, fermentation can be done in just a few days. You might want to leave it for a couple of more weeks to "clean up"... and unless you're adding something else, or just like transferring, leave it in the primary. Secondary is more trouble than it's worth.

Reaction score
I use Nottingham allot and all i can say is I give it a bunch of oxygen, ferment cold around 60 and let it munch, never had a problem with it stalling or dying. if too warm it will give off a flavor and cut the hops flavor in half but if not brewing a hoppy beer works out well, always seem to be in the 7 day range for me

skw

Reaction score
For me, Nottingham was always quick to start, but took its time to finish. With a clear surface after just two or three days, it was still fermenting slowly and quietly for about a week. Don't let the yeast trick you into bottling too early!