Super fast fermentations, any one else have this issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Barring my hiatus, I've brewed about 10/11 batches total.

The thing is, every single one of these batches, except maybe a couple, has been a fast fermentation. I'm talking a few days.

The beers always turn out great, just as I want them, good flavor (even better as time goes on), good color, good mouth feel, head retention (depending on the beer), etc. However, they always finish in the primary way before the 1-2 weeks that are typical.

Even this new batch I've just put in the fermenter last Wednesday has pretty much finished today. There were a couple bubbles every so often yesterday and this morning and then tonight: almost nothing.

I think it has something to do with temperature maybe, I usually am fermenting at whatever temperature it is in my apartment (low to mid seventies, sometimes a little higher). Or maybe the yeast, I always pitch dry yeast and have yet to use a starter or Wyeast, etc.

Anyone else have this issue or maybe know what causes it? This is the second apartment I've had since I've started homebrewing and it seems to be pretty similar.

Its not actually done fermenting. Lack of activity in the airlock doesn't mean much, you need to take a grav reading. Let it ferment the whole two weeks unless you have the ability to take two gravity readings spread over 48 hours.

Personally, I like to let it sit for at least 3-4 weeks regardless of how quickly it ferments. Fermentation is just half of the process - cleanup and melding etc is going to happen as well. Might as well let the yeasties hang out a while longer to clean up after themselves.
-Me

Yeast LOVE warm temperatures, so if it's in the 70s, I'm not surprised it's fermented fast. That's not always the best for great taste, though. I've had some beers ferment out overnight- literally in 24 hours- even at a more reasonable ale temperature, though.

If you can, I'd suggest fermenting in the 60s. With dry yeast, especially Nottingham, you can ferment as low as 59 degrees, and get a very "clean" less estery tasting beer. You can do this by a water bath (what I do) if the ambient temperature is over 68 degrees or so. Also, keep in mind that if your room temperature is 72 degrees, it could be 8-10 degrees higher inside your fermenter if you're not monitoring it. I use those cheap aquarium strips on the outside of my fermenter to gauge the temperature inside.

Thanks for the input. I'm using thermometers and the temperature inside the fermenter is usually around 72-75, which I know is definitely in the high range, even for ale yeast.

I usually use some sort of Safale yeast strain, this time it was 04, the english ale. I know this usually has a fast ferment.

I was just wondering why it always seem to happen this way, no matter the time of year or location, etc, etc.

Back