Super dark cider… help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbrown1991

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to brewing in general but I have done some pre made kits. I recently built a keezer and made a strawberry lime cider from a kit and legged it, og was 1.070 and final was 1.000. I kegged it, and it didn’t appear to be very dark but after carbing my keg and drinking a few glasses today the color is really really dark, but the flavor is amazing. My question is, did I do something wrong? Thank you all in advance for helping a noob

Attachments

• F561F5DF-51FC-49EE-8AD3-A736857769F5.jpeg
    F561F5DF-51FC-49EE-8AD3-A736857769F5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Looks oxidised to me. Avoid contact with oxygen while transferring to keg and while serving. Since you didn’t provide much info about the process, that’s my best guess. Read about avoiding oxidation once fermentation starts, on forum.

Thanks guys, I was worried about that. I racked from a siphonless fermentation bucket of northern brewers straight into the keg, then I put co2 to twelve pounds and left it for about a week while I went camping, then tried it yesterday when I got home. Being new to kegging I had a seltzer and the cider conditioning at the same time, the seltzer appears to be fine

I have done successful open transfers, but you have to purge the keg with CO2 before the process of carbonating. One of the mods had a chart for how many purges it would take to get an O2 ppm in the single digits, I just don't remember where they posted it.

Latest posts

Back