super crazy recipe feedback...ok its another ipa, but help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr210

Reaction score
my first stab at a recipe

10 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs crystal 60
3 oz magnum (60 min)
1 oz cascade (15 min)
1 oz cascade (dryhop)
wlp001

gon' see how it goes, anyone able to give me an idea what the end product will be like?

I think you've got way too much crystal in there, and way too much bittering hops.
I'd drop the crystal down to 1 lb max, and preferably 0.5 lb and increase the 2 row to about 12 lb. I'd also drop the 3 oz magnum down to about 1 oz. That should get you into the mid range of the style recommendations assuming 70% efficiency.

-a.

+1 on what ajf said. I'd also add some more hops at 10 and/or 5 min left. 1oz of Amarillo perhaps. I like experimenting with different hops in the last 10 minutes to check out different aromas and flavors. I used Palisade recently and liked it's fingerprint it left on a Pale Ale I made. Just a thought. -Chris

im just starting to flirt with all grain brewing, so i dont really know how much of what grains i should be using to get what i want, so thanks in that regard guys. as for the hops, i err to the side of "offensively hoppy," so i dont think that part is changing! :mug:

Beersmith comes up with 157 IBUs for your recipe. IPAs are listed at 40-70. Huge ones are around 100.

Let us know how it comes out.

"Offensively hoppy" is excellent.

But 3 oz of magnum at 60 minutes won't be the least bit hoppy. It'll be "peel the tastebuds off your tongue" bitter. I like firm bitterness, but no way I'd go with more than .75- 1 oz for bittering with that recipe. I'd actually go less with only 10 pounds of base malt.

If you want "offensively hoppy", this would be much much better:

10 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs crystal 60
.50 oz magnum (60 min)
1.5 oz cascade (15 min)
1.5 oz cascade (10 min) (or any other good hop variety)
1.5 oz cascade (5 min)
1.5 oz cascade (0 min) (or any other good hop variety)
2 oz cascade (dryhop)(or any other good hop variety or a mix)
wlp001

"Offensively hoppy" is excellent.

But 3 oz of magnum at 60 minutes won't be the least bit hoppy. It'll be "peel the tastebuds off your tongue" bitter. I like firm bitterness, but no way I'd go with more than .75- 1 oz for bittering with that recipe. I'd actually go less with only 10 pounds of base malt.

If you want "offensively hoppy", this would be much much better:

10 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs crystal 60
.50 oz magnum (60 min)
1.5 oz cascade (15 min)
1.5 oz cascade (10 min) (or any other good hop variety)
1.5 oz cascade (5 min)
1.5 oz cascade (0 min) (or any other good hop variety)
2 oz cascade (dryhop)(or any other good hop variety or a mix)
wlp001

respectfully disagree, its effing awesome

Back