Sunset Hydroponics and Homebrewing - Rochester, NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordzilla

Reaction score
I thought this might be good for anyone in the area who's new to brewing and hasn't dealt with these guys yet.

There are several locations around Rochester. I frequent the Henrietta location, but I have also visited the Victor location several times.

• Their prices are always competitive with online retailers.
  • Equipment selection is great. They are knowledgeable about brewing and carry popular items.
  • Ingredients selection is also very good. If they don't have a specialty grain I need, there's always a sufficient substitute.
  • All grain ingredients and yeast have high rotation, hops and grain don't sit around on the shelves for a long time.
  • Extract however, I don't believe sells quite as much. The DME I've gotten has always been good but some of the LME and extract kits don't appear to sell much. I should state that I haven't used their LME, so I could be wrong.

I'm in there every other week and love having such a well stocked LHBS within 10 minutes of the house.

They have a decent selection of lb. bags of hops, and let you order some of the more exotic varieties if they don't, then text you when it comes in!

The grain I've gotten has always been fresh (bulk 2-row in 50lb bags) - I think it experiences some good turnover. The specialty grain selection is the same you'd find on any website, but always fresh. It's nice not having to be concerned about the quality of the primary ingredient of the brew.

SWMBO has bought a couple of wine kits and we've had excellent results.

Standard yeast prices and decent equipment selection.

Why the UNYHA homebrew competition drop off point is at Southtown beverage and not Sunset is puzzling to me.

They were originally pretty poor, but these guys have gotten better. You can buy whole grains and grind them in store, and the employee there will help you out if needed.

Back