Sunlight Requirements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yarnosh

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to grow hops next year but I fear that I will not be able to provide them with enough direct sunlight during the day. There are two large maple trees to the west on the other side of the yard which pretty much block the sun to to the eastern side of the yard after around 2 pm. So I get maybe half a day worth of sun in my best location. I'm in Illinois, BTW.

I've read that hops need lots of sun. Should I even bother? I can deal with not getting a large harvest. I'm just afraid it will be an all or nothing sort of thing.

If it is possible to grow, can anyone recommend the best strain of hops that would grow in these conditions? I'd like to grow Chinook hops if I can.

-yarnosh

Plant them in pots the first year. That way if they are not getting enough sun in that location you could move them. If they work in that spot, put them in ground the next year. I have a very small area that gets sun for most of the day which is very limiting to the number of plants that I can have.

I am down here in Southern IL. and this is my first year growing hops. I placed my hop yard in the middle of our field that we have and they receive sun all day long. Perhaps a little too much sun. I am looking for a place to where it will get about 8-10 hours of sun that way they won't burn up. I am no expert the matter, but from the sound of it, I think that your hop plants will do fine. I wish you luck!

This is my first year growing hops.
I put them in pots for several reasons and goals in mind.

1st- get the most sunlight I can on them, because of nearby trees, this is about 7hrs a day.

2nd- I dont want to look at the driveway next door.

3rd- My goal was not to get hops the first year, although I have a few coming in. I was interested in the aesthetics of hanging vines.

4th- I wanted to stretch the vine across my patio to shade the area, like my Italian grandparents did in the old country with grapes. Although this means going out daily to train the vines, I dont mind. Next year I can always change things around.

{pictures below are of my patio with hop plants}

I recommend:

You pot your hops the first year, first 2 years if you have big enough pots.

Fertilize every 3-4 weeks with a general (cheap) nitrogen fertilizer.

Picture 066 (2).jpg

Picture 067 (2).jpg

Mine are planted next to a shed.
3651405993_7a8874a3e7.jpg

They don't get enough sun which probably like 8 hours. Hopefully they will do better next year since they will have established roots and I will upgrade the soil but really try to get them as much sun as possible.

Thanks everyone for replying. I did a little more analysis and I think I have found a good place for hops. There's one patch just big enough for a trellis that gets sun most of the day. It is all the way on the north side by the back alley. And there is already a fence there, but I'll probably pull it up and put in much taller posts.

Maybe I'll get a pic and show ya'll...

I was worried about mine, too. But as first years, mine get direct sun from sunrise to noon daily, and they are doing pretty well. Acutally i'll be getting a decent harvest, considering they're first year. Nuggett, Willamette and Tettnang, fwiw.

Back