Sunkist Cara Cara Orange in JAOM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernYankee

Reaction score
I was at Walmart today picking up a few things and while I was looking at oranges I came across the Sunkist Cara Cara Orange. After I read about the orange its stats to be low in acidity, super sweet, and seedless.
I thought well this might make a great JAOM...Heck I just bottled my very first batch today and was looking for a reason to start another.
I cut the orange open and it has a nice ruby red color and it does taste very sweet.
I'll let the yeast do there thing for a day or two and then top them off.
I hope these turn out good..
The only problem I can think of is the amount of honey I use for one of them. I think I added to much to the one on the right. Might be close to 4 lbs.

20140318_175436.jpg

20140318_182452.jpg

20140318_182850.jpg

20140318_192815.jpg

20140318_192848.jpg

Hydrometer reading?

What about pith? I never get it so many people are always warning about pith, yet JAOM uses a whole orange.

Hydrometer reading?

What about pith? I never get it so many people are always warning about pith, yet JAOM uses a whole orange.

I never made JAOM, but I did make a ginger mead with several oranges in it, pith and all....I can taste what I imagine to be some bitterness from the pith (although I've never made a mead with skinned oranges, so...who knows), but it's not objectionable, and seems to be mellowing over the months....my wife likes it, so it can't be too bad, and I love me some intense IPA's, so bitterness doesn't bother me in the least....guess it depends on what one wants/expects/enjoys in the flavor profile

Hydrometer reading?

Some oranges have more bitterness in the pith than others. I've had batches ready immediately and others need months. Too much pith bitterness requires more aging before it is drinkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hydrometer reading?

Hydrometer reading.....None. After all this is a JAOM, a simple recipe which doesn't require one. Yes, you could take one but as stated in the original recipe, keep it simple and a proven mead (melomel) will be produced.
Pith, even using normal oranges for my first JAOM and then tasting it at bottling I didn't get the bitterness, sweet yes bitter no....Thats just me, Im sure some folks can detect it. But the sweetness out did any bitterness.
Im sure since the Cara Cara orange is even sweeter...no bitterness.

How did the cara cara oranges turn out? How did they compare to a regular naval orange? My grocery store has cara cara in stock and I've been wondering....

these are really sweat juicy oranges. One of my first batches I used these and it was really really sweet.

Back