Summit/ Cascade IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
I have been playing around a bit with my IPA..I have a bunch of summit and wanted to work an IPA recipe..I thought Cascade would work nice with the summit..a bit of tangerine and grapefruie mix..let me know what u think and any suggestions

10 pounds american 2 row
1 pound munich
1 pound vienna
12 oz carmel 20L
4 oz cara
1 oz summit 60 min
1 oz summit 10 min
1 oz cascade 5 min
.5 oz summit 5 min
.5 oz summit 0 min
.5 oz cascade 0 min
.5 oz both cascade and summit dry hop 10 days

1.06 OG
about 70 IBUS

Safale 04 or 05 yeast havent decide yet.....Im looking for a crisp refreshing big hoppy beer..this is a bit lighter at 6.6 SRM.

not sure I might play with it a bit..anyone else use a summit cascade combo?

Jay

split the summits .5oz at 10min .5oz at 15 or 20. This will help round out the flavor of your beer so it doesn't taste like a dry-hopped bitter bomb. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I love both of those hops.

I'd put more Cascade than Summit in the dry hop....say 1.5 Cascade/0.5 Summit. I loves me some dry-hopping. Safale US-05 at 65F will do a great job. I just did an IPA in the high 60's/low 70's with US-05 and it came out too fruity/estery for my style of IPA. I like the WLP-001 in liquid form....but you gotta build up a huge starter for a good IPA. Repitching onto the cake seems to be the easiest way to go. If you mash low, you can get the IPA pretty crisp, clean and dry. The 4 oz. of cara will keep the body up, though. Nice recipe....let's see how it turns out!

how about:

1 oz summit 60 min
.5 oz summit 20 min
.5 oz cascade 10 min
.5 oz summit 10 min
.5 oz summit 0 min
.5 oz cascade 0 min
1 oz cascade .5 oz summit dry hop

1.06 OG
about 70 IBUS

Brewing this today finally!!!..

11 pounds american 2 row
1 pound munich
1 pound vienna
12 oz carmel 20L
4 oz cara
1 oz summit 60 min
.5 oz summit 20 min
.5 oz cascade 10 min
.5 oz summit 10 min
.5 oz cascade 5 min
.5 oz summit 0 min
.5 oz cascade 0 min
1 oz cascade and .5 oz summit dry hop 10 days
will than use .5 oz cascade and .25 oz summit in keg dry hop!!!
1.065 OG
about 77 IBUS

Safale 05

Im looking for a crisp refreshing big hoppy beer..this is a bit lighter at 6.6 SRM.

not sure I might play with it a bit..anyone else use a summit cascade combo?

Jay

i am dry hopping a IPA with summit and cascade currently, should be fantastic. I think summit has turned into my favorite hop after my all summit pale ale is just fantastic!

surfbrewer said:
Let us know how it turns out, sounds tasty.

Cheers

Will do just that..Hit target temp at 152..I plan to dry hop 10 days in secondary and than when I keg add another .25 summit and .5 cascade to dry hop into the keg..should be a huge aroma.....looking at about 6.5% ABV..pitched 2 packets of s 05 ..had major activity the next morning so about 6 to 8 hrs later..

Gonna try to keep this between 63 and 66 degrees during fermentation for a very clean beer... hoping to go from 1.065 to 1.010-1.012 FG...

Jay

Back