Summit and Equinox combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
Have any of you ever used this combo for flavor/aroma?

I've read that Summit is a substitute for Simcoe. I've had Equinox in the Pinedrops IPA from Deschutes...which is tasty.

I was planning a double IPA with my typical IPA grain bill but only hyped up with a little extra 2-row so the grain shouldn't be an issue.

Basically doing:

.5 Nugget bittering
.8 each @10
1 each @5
1 each @KO with a 10 minute stand
2 each for a 5-7 day dry hop

Around 80 IBU with a 1.087 OG.

Wondering if these to hops will blend well together.

I've only used Equinox but I think it really comes down to the Summit. Every time Ive ordered the stuff I get hops that smell like onion/garlic and refuse to use them. If you get a dank citrusy batch then I think it would be a nice combo. Equinox alone isn't bad but isn't overly complex and is also a little harsh IMO. Not a single hop type of strain.

I haven't opened the pound I bought yet of the Summit. Onion and garlic just doesn't sound good in an IPA.

I haven't opened the pound I bought yet of the Summit. Onion and garlic just doesn't sound good in an IPA.

Your telling me. I had them read to go for a club brew and had to change everything last minute. I know others that have had good experiences though so it just depends on what you got.

Kind of messed up that one batch could be good and another bad. I know it's a plant but it still doesn't seem like there should be much of a difference from year to year.

Back