Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Summer/Winter Solstice Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone brewed this with vanilla beans and not extract? I have a few nice ones and was going to soak them in vodka. How does the vanilla come through?

The recipe I have calls for two weeks primary @ 62 degrees and two weeks secondary no temp listed. My basement is not heated and stays @ 58-59 degrees. Would letting it ferment at that temp be an issue?

I would pitch closer to 70-72 and let it get started for a day or two and then drop it into your basement. If you keep it off bare concrete and just let it rise as it ferments, you should end up around 62 degrees for the first week and then it should drop a bit during the second week and floc out nicely.

Locus415, thanks for the info. That sounds like a good plan giving the yeast a day or two to get started then moving to the basement.

homebrew44 said:
I know this calls for 150 mash temp, is that the same temp to use for sparge?

Thanks

When you sparge you want to get your grain bed to 168 to 170. So you have add your sparge water at a higher temp to get to those temps.

No a 150 mash sounds fine. If you want a sweeter brew you can go to 154. But I would stick to 150.

Any chance I can cheat by splitting the difference and use Crystal 60? I'm on the hook to brew a few batches and this is the only recipe I have that needs 40 or 80.

If not, no biggie. It's more laziness than anything else.

**Edit** We decided to brew the oatmeal stout also, so it'll be worth it to brew the recipe as is.

So I'm brewing this recipe this Saturday, and when I went to my brew shop, they were all out of the California Lager yeast! They didn't even have the white labs equivalent. SO, since this beer IS a cream ale, I just got white labs WLP080 - Cream Ale Blend. Do you think this will substantially change the flavor of the beer? I think it might work well, actually, but I am still a novice at this whole thing.

I'd use both crystal 40 and 80, each adds a different flavor.

As for the yeast, it'll be close, but not quite exact. Ferment it in the low 60s, and you'll be fine

So I'm brewing this recipe this Saturday, and when I went to my brew shop, they were all out of the California Lager yeast! They didn't even have the white labs equivalent. SO, since this beer IS a cream ale, I just got white labs WLP080 - Cream Ale Blend. Do you think this will substantially change the flavor of the beer? I think it might work well, actually, but I am still a novice at this whole thing.

I recently listened to the CYBI show for the Anderson Valley Boont Amber, and the brewer from AV spoke extensively about the house yeast, which is derived from an English strain. It got me thinking about this clone, and if that distinctive taste (some describe as blueberry pancake) in this beer and the amber is coming from the yeast and associated esters.

I've brewed the Winter Solstice twice based on this recipe using S-05 fermented cool and WLP810 at 60F. I thought it came out very well and was close, but fell short of cloned, mostly due to it lacking that signature flavor. As the yeast is a mutated house strain, it may be impossible to recreate using commercial offerings from WL or Wyeast.

Yes, I realize this an older thread, but I recently had one of these and it got me thinking I need to try and brew one.
I really think there are other spices than just vanilla in this beer, anyone care to hazard a guess what they might be?

Having brewed this and being a big fan of the original by AVBC, I can confirm that the only "spice" addition is vanilla in the Summer version. The hard part to nail is the "crema" part of the "cervesa." A bit higher mash temp or some maltodextrine can help... and good yeast health during fermentation.

I plan on brewing this next weekend and was wondering if anybody added vanilla beans to the secondary as opposed to the extract at bottling time? And if so, how many beans did you add to a 5 gallon batch?

I used 2 beans in 5g of my pumkin beer and the vanilla is very noticeable, so I think you might want less than that.

I used 2 beans in 5g of my pumkin beer and the vanilla is very noticeable, so I think you might want less than that.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that, too. Splitting vanilla beans in half is popular, maybe cut one bean and half and start from there.

On Can You Brew It? for the Boont Amber clone they went with WLP002 / WY1968 Fuller's ESB Ale yeast. Boont's recipe is simple but they all concluded the flavor was complex and the yeast was a good choice. Do you reckon AVBC uses an English Ale yeast for solstice, too? Anyone think they have the know-how to weight in?

Sorry, just responding to this. Ya, I could definitely see this beer fermented with WLP002. The two big flavor components are tons of crystal malt, and the vanilla addition (which you really have to go easy with). The rest is fairly secondary.

An earlier poster mentioned possibly using WLP029 kolsch yeast, and I'm considering the same thing. Has anyone tried that with this recipe? I have some extra 029 in the fridge, so I'll report back if I make the brew in the next month or so.

Sorry to revive an old thread.
I made this recpie a couple months ago and it turned out perfectly. It was a huge hit so I decided to make it again.

I made this last night and my OG was way low. I only ended up at 1.030. I am worried that it will taste watered down and it will be way to week. Does anyone have an opinion on me taking a half gallon and steeping some of the Crystal 40 and 80 grains, then adding 2 pound of light DME, boil it, cool it and add it into my primary to help get my gravity ratings more inline with what it should be?

Thanks

OP, are you sure you got those recipes right? Vanilla in the summer version? Seems to me it'd be in the winter one, wouldn't it?

Are they backwards?

Big ol' bump here, but I'm serving this now, and I thought I'd give some notes. This is Winter Solstice by the way, if you can't tell by the frozen fingertips I'm typing this with.

So the rumor the distributor for AVBC only took in so much stock for Winter Solstice, and Total Wine scooped up most of the stock, leaving my local small business shops out of luck for this beer! Now I have to brew my favorite winter beer like some peasant! I used S-04 because I had some to rack onto, and I think it did OK. I think it isn't as multi-dimensional as AVBC's special yeast, but for imitation, it's really, really close. If I had coordinated this better I would have used 002.

Anyways, used two vanilla beans, cut down the middle, chopped, and soaked in 2oz white rum. Let that sit for four days and dumped the "vanilla extract" (hey, technically that's what it is!) into the keg with the finished beer. When I sampled the beer going into the keg (that is, without the vanilla added), sensors in my brain immediately flaired up: "Hey, this is close to what I'm looking for! And there's already hints of vanilla in it!", so I became worried 2 whole beans would have been overkill.

It was. This is a little more intense than the real thing. If I do it again this year, I'll do 1-1.5 beans chopped. But I really, really like the soak in vodka/rum method... way more effective than just dumping in beans in secondary!! I'm really satisfied with this beer, but again, it's a little too gnawing with vanilla intensity, just a warning to tone it down in your own designs.

Great to be drinking this this year!

Brewed this recipe all grain 5 gallons couple days ago with 1 more pound of base malt and WLP080 w a yeast starter ... But accidentally added the hops the full 60min boil instead of 15 min :( Hope it turns out great still ? OG sample was 1.057 and its currently fermenting at 62 degrees with a blow off tube bubbling away last couple days. Will try to keep it there 60-65 degrees range ambient for the next 3 weeks

Maybe a bit more bitter.. Beersmith says ~18IBU vs ~9IBU ... which I doubt would be noticeable any other changes you guys think?

Drinken a lot of AVBC Winter over the past few years, and am a huge fan. I brewed this recipe as recommended in this thread, and really it wasn't very close. The base was there with the crystal malts but vanilla extract gave it a cream soda taste, and no berry taste to be found.

One thing I think that is overlooked is the fermentation temp. Agree that CA lager 2112 is what to go with, but if you ferment this yeast at a high temp like 68-70* the yeast gives off a nice berry smell and taste. I'd push it as warm as it'll ferment to really get that taste berry taste of AVBC Winter.

Finally, the 3/4 tbsp of vanilla extract to the keg I used was not right for a clone of this beer. I think, as mentioned by others, 1 vanilla bean is the way to go.

The base to the recipe in this thread is there. It just needs to be dialed up b/c it'd be great to have AVBC Winter on tap all year round!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I love this recipe and have brewed it 3 times with great success. I would like to explore making this beer much hoppier, thinking somewhere around 50 IBU's. What hops would you add? Would you just add more NB for a full boil or would you use something like Citra or Galaxy? Let me know what you think

Sure, super easy. Steep the crystal grains like you would any other extract recipe, then just replace the 2-row with 5.5lbs of light DME or 7lbs of light LME. That's it. Proceed from there as normal.

Does anyone know if these quantities are for the Summer or Winter Solstice?

*Edit:
My calculations say this is for the Summer Solstice.

For Winter Solstice assuming a 75% efficiency you would need 7.8 lbs (13lbs * .60) or 9.5 lbs (13lbs * .73) of LME.

I'm looking to do the Winter recipe with Belgian Abbey yeast. I'm curious as to why such a late and one-off hop addition, wouldn't it have a weird not-bitter-enough characteristic? Sorry to doubt the OP but I've only seen late additions in Berliner Weisse recipes

Any thoughts on using WY1728 Scottish Ale? I have some washed from a Stout that I could use in this. Its provides a clean fermentation when kept in the low 60's, although I had to raise temp to low 70's to get it to finish, might have been pitch rate though since I pitched from the smack pack.

Another question I have is that Anderson Valley mentions Munich (20L) on their website as part of the grain bill along with Northern Brewer and Liberty for hops.
Any thoughts on how much Munich and where the Liberty might fit in?

I'll be bottling my batch of the "Winter" clone tonight. One thing I haven't found is what carbonation level we should shoot for. The original's carbonation is pretty tame, maybe 1.8 - 2.0, any thoughts?

Well I went with 1.8, hope it works out. I didn't taste this at bottling time but there wasn't much of a vanilla/cream soda smell, although the hydro sampled I had didn't have much of that aroma either. Hopefully after carbing up and chilling the vanilla is still there, I think tit's a key to this recipe.

So far I've opened 2 bottles. Carbonation is pretty ideal from what I remember AV WS being, bit right now there's a strange grain/yeast taste going on that in don't like. I opened those bottles after only 24 hours in the fridge so there may have been yeast still in suspension.

This is my first time using a lager yeast so I don't know if it takes longer to settle in the bottle or not.

I have 2 or 3 more bottles that have been on the fridge for 5 days now, might try one tonight, the rest I moved to a 65-70 degree room to age a little. At about 7.3% ABV if I remember correctly a couple weeks of aging mag help it as well.

Just another update...
Appearance wise mine is very close to scottland's picture in post #5, mine might be a touch darker and a touch cloudier but it's very close. The smell doesn't have much to it, sweet malt with a touch of sweet alcohol, maybe, from what I can recall about AVWS it's missing something in the spice arena.

Taste is much like the smell, i really wish it tasted like the hydro sample i pulled when i decided to bottle. It doesn't have the vanilla or cream soda like flavor that I'm looking for, i'm wondering if I should have put the vanilla beans in a bad and weighed them down? The hydro sample may have had more vanilla in it since a lot of the floating beans were at the top. I used two vanilla beans soaked in vodka then added 3 Tbsp of vanilla extract at bottling time...

Mouthfeel wise it's too prickly to be a clone. Either the volume of CO2 needs to be lower than 1.8/1.9, or need to mash higher or and some malto-dextrine to make it silkier.

In the end if you like a malt driven beer it's good, not as caramely/toffeeish as something like an Oktoberfest, more of a base brain maltiness with a hint of caramel in the background. If I make this again, which I may shoot for the Summer version this coming year, I might try to change up the percentages of crystal malts, i'm thinking the amounts might need to be switched. Might even need to make the percentage of crystal 80L be higher to get more caramel flavor. Might even go with 60L instead of the 40L, thinking that even though AV's site says they use 40 and 80 that on the homebrew scale maybe 60 will give more flavor that what we're pulling out of 40.

I'm fairly new to brewing but am wondering why we boil 60 minutes when the first hop addition is at 15 minutes. Why not 30 or 15 minutes? Thank you.

How would US-05 fair as a yeast choice instead of a lager yeast. Also, is the recipe for 5 gallon batch?
Cheers

Latest posts

Back