Summer wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermonster1985

Reaction score
So the missus wants me to make her a beer she would like, I'm thinking a wheat with orange peel and ginger in the fermentors the slight flavouring. Anyone have any experience with these 2 ingredients as in how much to use so the flavouring is there but is not overpowering?

So the missus wants me to make her a beer she would like, I'm thinking a wheat with orange peel and ginger in the fermentors the slight flavouring. Anyone have any experience with these 2 ingredients as in how much to use so the flavouring is there but is not overpowering?

Sterilize both.

Ginger is tricky, I have used it a bunch of times in Saisons never quite got what I was going for.

I'm thinking a wheat with orange peel and ginger in the fermentors the slight flavouring.

Doesn't sound bad. Soak each in vodka, then add the tincture at bottling time. That's the easy way. If you like, you can pull a sample to test various dosing levels to determine how much you mean to add.

@GuldTuborg is spot on.

Another approach would be to, rather than adding in the fermenter, to add the spices to the boil. That is pretty standard for Belgian Witbier brewing.

Regardless of which method you use, if it were me, I wouldn't add the ginger at all, as mentioned above, that's a tricky spice to use in brewing. For the orange peel, there are two types that give very different flavors - if you mean the dried orange peel you can buy at homebrew stores, that will add bitterness to your beer. If you add fresh orange peel, like orange zest, that will add citrus and sweetness.

Another spice that your wife might enjoy is coriander seeds, crushed and then tossed in the boil. Coriander seeds used in that way tend to give a bright, orange-like flavor.

Back