Summer Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanofreak

Reaction score
I plan to next brew this all grain, but I just started on a new system this weekend, and wanted one less thing to think about when brewing, so I went with extract. Just wanted some thoughts on this. Summer wheat ale, with lots of hop nose. There are two different yeasts, in two different fermenters. Figured I would experiment a bit there.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
56% 13 0 Briess GOLD LME info 34 5
39% 9 0 Wheat Liquid Extract info 36 3
5% 1 4 American Crystal 20L info 34 20
Batch size: 11.0 gallons

Original Gravity
(1.065 to 1.076)
Final Gravity
(1.015 to 1.019)
Color
8° SRM / 15° EBC
(Gold to Copper)

hops
use time oz
boil 60 mins 0.5 Columbus
boil 60 mins 0.5 Chinook
boil 60 mins 0.5 Cascade
boil 60 mins 0.5 Centennial
boil 30 mins 0.5 Centennial
boil 30 mins 0.5 Chinook
boil 30 mins 0.5 Cascade
boil 30 mins 0.5 Columbus
boil 1 min 1.0 Chinook
boil 1 min 1.0 Cascade
boil 1 min 1.0 Centennial
boil 1 min 1.0 Columbus

Bitterness
60.7 IBU / 22 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

yeast
White Labs California Ale (WLP001) info
ale yeast in liquid form with medium flocculation
Wyeast Whitbread Ale (1099) info
ale yeast in liquid form with high flocculation

Alcohol
7.5% ABV / 6% ABW
Calories
240 per 12 oz.

I'd drink it. Kinda aggressive on the ABV and IBU for a summer brew though IMO. will be hoppy. do you have a commercial example in mind?

I'd drink it. Kinda aggressive on the ABV and IBU for a summer brew though IMO. will be hoppy. do you have a commercial example in mind?

Kind of along the lines of A Lil Sumpin Sumpin. Not really a clone, but that type of thing. I know the ABV is high for a summer brew, I guess to me in some ways wheat = summery (I know it shouldn't).

I don't know the beer, so i googled. Looks good. Personally I would cut the whole grain bill and hops schedule in half, but I'm a low gravity guy. It seems balanced enough for what it is.

I know I am in the same IBU range as that beer, and OG. That beer is a nice one, and seems balanced, tasty, crisp, and hides the ABV well. That is why I am trying to be similar to it.

Was wanting the wheat beer with a clean yeast, not imparting the flavors of a traditional wheat yeast.

Back