Summer Style that will age well?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookwow

Reaction score
Well with being on a diet (down 46lbs) ive been drinking a lot less, but im getting an itch to brew. I more then enough beer on tap/waiting in kegs to last me the winter.

Looking for a good summer beer that will do well aging until then. Any thoughts?

Russian Imperial Stout... I don't go by seasons (entirely). Brewing a black lager now.

I would say most anything that is not highly hopped (it'll fade by summer) would last til early summer anyway. Maybe a low gravity brown ale.

While i love a good Saison is that really a beer you age. I Thought that was one of the styles you usually drank young. What would you gain by aging it?

When I think "summer" beer, I think "thirst-quenching", in which case for me it would be something along the lines of a hefe, wit, shandy, grapefruit-laced ale. I am still cracking a hefe that I brewed last April and enjoyed through the summer that hasn't lost a thing with aging. I have an apricot wit in ferm right now that I fully expect to be enjoying next summer. If there's any left. ;)

Or a saison.

my saisons hold up better than most of the other beers I make. Only things that hold up better have been high OG belgians and porters. Not sure why my stouts seem to have limited shelf life

While i love a good Saison is that really a beer you age. I Thought that was one of the styles you usually drank young. What would you gain by aging it?

In my experience, saison yeasts can be a bit finicky, and take awhile to get down to their FG. As a result, I begin aging my saison for several months in secondary, and I found it tasted better as a result. I now generally plan about six months for a saison. While this isn't necessary, I find I enjoy them more aged.

In my experience, saison yeasts can be a bit finicky, and take awhile to get down to their FG. As a result, I begin aging my saison for several months in secondary, and I found it tasted better as a result. I now generally plan about six months for a saison. While this isn't necessary, I find I enjoy them more aged.

DuPont is the only strain I k ow of that can do this. But I've never had an issue with it. Grains to glass in 3 weeks or less for all of mine. And this is with 10 different strains and all kinds of grain bills

Gose, Berliner Weisse, Belgian Wit, Bock, Weizen. And yes, Saison. Pretty much anything besides an IPA will be fresh for months.

DuPont is the only strain I k ow of that can do this. But I've never had an issue with it. Grains to glass in 3 weeks or less for all of mine. And this is with 10 different strains and all kinds of grain bills

Saison yeasts are actually pretty famous for fermenting fast, then stalling before hitting their FG. If you do a Google search, you'll see it's a common issue with saison yeasts in general. I mostly use Belle Saison dry yeast.

A saison can be a great summer beer, but so can a lager, or "pseudo lager" if you don't have the ability to officially lager. Make a light-ish, lager-ish type beer, ferment with WLP029 on the low side. If you bottle, bottle it, then let it condition and carbonate, and toss it in the refrigerator and forget about it for a few months. Takes a pretty good palate to tell that it's not a lager if you do it right.

I like a well aged sour/lambic too. This is probably too late for that endeavour though, as they usually need a year+ to start hitting their peak.

Otherwise, Saison :)

Somewhat agree on Kolsch, but I feel like they are best 3 weeks after lagering (so about a 8 week grain to glass).

Saison yeasts are actually pretty famous for fermenting fast, then stalling before hitting their FG. If you do a Google search, you'll see it's a common issue with saison yeasts in general. I mostly use Belle Saison dry yeast.

There really is only one saison yeast that does that. WY3724 does that, but every other Saison yeast just chomps through the sugars and are done fast. For example Belle Saison and 3711 don't even think about stalling. They ferment fast.

But back to the OP.. Definitely Saison. If you want interestig take a Saison and add brett. ages very well.

Saison saison saison saison saison. If you want to use wlp565 / wy3724 then try blending it with another saison yeast if you can't push it to 90f. I've never had it stall but I warm them up quite a bit

thanks for all the input. A Berliner Weisse could be fun but i dont think my mash tun will fight in my fermentation fridge but ill have to check.

Saison it most likely will be.

A good blonde holds up well with age, I think.

*whistles innocently*
you wish those blondes held up as well as us brunettes.

Saisons are gross. Lagers are the correct answer here. Nothin like a crisp Pils to guzzle while grillin. Tell you hwut.

I don't love pilsners, but I agree with this guy. I've had a Pilsner aged in oak barrels and it was rad

There really is only one saison yeast that does that. WY3724 does that, but every other Saison yeast just chomps through the sugars and are done fast. For example Belle Saison and 3711 don't even think about stalling. They ferment fast.

But back to the OP.. Definitely Saison. If you want interestig take a Saison and add brett. ages very well.

My experience with Belle Saison has been a fast initial ferment, and then it takes it's time to dry out, and this is my go-to saison yeast. Maybe I just don't ferment saisons hot enough (about 80 F tops).

For a higher ABV summer beer I like a good tripel, if done right you'll get some fruity esters and the higher ABV won't be noticeable... till you have a couple.

For something lighter, more sessionable, I prefer to go the Wit or Amber/Red route. I know many don't think of Red's and Amber for summer they go great with grilled meats and you can use some later hop additions that will bring some citrus notes. The hop profile will certainly fade by June/July but some of it will still be there. Just some different thoughts other than going with a Saison or Blond

I like mine aged. but I also like BL cellared for 4 years.

I do like stouts of all sorts throughout the summer. I wasn't just being a smarta$$ when I said stoutseason365. try a Bourbon Milk Stout for a multi season aging beer.

I agree.
Even in Arizona when its 110 outside I'm down for a stout.
I'd NEVER turn down a big BA stout, but not out looking for it in the middle of the heat.

but a nice 'light' american stout or milk stout 5-7% and I'm good to go.

Back