Summer Session Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawaiibboy

Reaction score
I was hoping to make a session beer that is easy to drink and not hard for a non-craft brew drinker to enjoy. I am aiming for an OG of around 1.055 with a balanced malty-ness with a hint of spicy citrus from the hops.

With this in mind, i figured a blonde ale would be best. I have not determined a yeast to go with, and I am unsure about the use of torrified wheat and carapils in this recipe. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The recipe below is for a 3gal BIAB AG.

Basement Beer

Style: Blonde Ale OG: 1.054
Type: All Grain FG: 1.016
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 4.98 %
Calories: 178 IBU's: 24.19
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 4.64 Gal
Color: 4.2 SRM Batch Size: 3.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.038 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 64.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 72.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
4.50 lbs 64.29 % Pilsner (2 Row) Bel 60 mins 1.036
2.00 lbs 28.57 % Wheat, Torrified 60 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 7.14 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 60 mins 1.033

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 11.80 Saaz 45 mins 4.00
0.50 ozs 4.66 Saaz 10 mins 4.00
0.50 ozs 6.41 Cascade 10 mins 5.50
0.50 ozs 0.55 Saaz 1 mins 4.00
0.50 ozs 0.76 Cascade 1 mins 5.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
(none)

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
BIAB No Sparge 60 min @ 152.0°F
Add 20.78 qt water @ 159.1°F
Mashout 10 min @ 170.0°F
Heat to 170.0°F over 2 mins

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
3.14 oz Table Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 78.0°F 2.80

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.834

Sent from my iPhone

Here are my thoughts.

I would drop the wheat and the carapils all together.

Here is one I brew all the time, never lasts very long wherever I take it.

Blonde Biscuit

Method: BIAB
Style: Blonde Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 76% (ending kettle)

Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 4.62%
IBU (tinseth): 26.51
SRM (morey): 5.03

Amount Fermentable
9 lb American - Pale 2-Row
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 20L
0.35 lb Belgian - Biscuit 35
0.3 lb German - Acidulated Malt
10.15 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Time AA IBU Type Use
1 oz Tettnanger 60 min 4.9 16.94 Pellet Boil
0.6 oz Amarillo 15 min 9.3 9.57 Pellet Boil
0.4 oz Amarillo 0 min 9.3 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz Cascade 5 days 7 Pellet Dry Hop

The acid malt is only there for ph adjustment.

Cheers

CUBrewing said:
Yes it is. Very good crowd pleaser

Definitely sounds like that is a crowd pleaser. Might have to try it and then change one thing at a time. I'll also probably use the BIAB 3gal scaled version.

Hawaiibboy I think your recipe looks fine. To make it a bit more of a session beer I might consider dropping some of the pale malt to bring down your gravity to 1.040-1.048 and cut your 10 and 1 minute hops in half, to bring some of that balance. I think with 2oz in 3 gallons you might be a bit hoppy in the flavor. If that's not a concern, brew away!

14thstreet said:
Hawaiibboy I think your recipe looks fine. To make it a bit more of a session beer I might consider dropping some of the pale malt to bring down your gravity to 1.040-1.048 and cut your 10 and 1 minute hops in half, to bring some of that balance. I think with 2oz in 3 gallons you might be a bit hoppy in the flavor. If that's not a concern, brew away!

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I didn't look at my hop/malt ratio until you mentioned it and I am a little on the hoppy side.

I've never used torrified wheat before, will it essentially make a beer similar to a hefeweizen?

I've used it before but not to the extent you are. I've seen it used in Wits to that amount. From what I've read is that torrified wheat will be grainy whereas malted wheat is malty. The process by which it is made (gelatinized/heated/popped) allows enzymes to attack the starch. However, this wheat does not have enzymes to convert the starches, so you'll need sufficient enzymes (with your pilsner malt) to convert them. Otherwise you might just end up with an unfermentable haze.

And speaking of haze (protein), you might get more with the torrified wheat rather than malted, but you may not mind that. It is said to also provide mouthfeel and body (dextrins). You could possibly do a protein rest but I've never done one to know if it helps.

If you are on the fence about anything, you could remove the carapils and add that much more pils, if you have more. If you feel you need it, you can always add it to a second batch and see if it makes a difference.

14thstreet said:
I've used it before but not to the extent you are. I've seen it used in Wits to that amount. From what I've read is that torrified wheat will be grainy whereas malted wheat is malty. The process by which it is made (gelatinized/heated/popped) allows enzymes to attack the starch. However, this wheat does not have enzymes to convert the starches, so you'll need sufficient enzymes (with your pilsner malt) to convert them. Otherwise you might just end up with an unfermentable haze.

And speaking of haze (protein), you might get more with the torrified wheat rather than malted, but you may not mind that. It is said to also provide mouthfeel and body (dextrins). You could possibly do a protein rest but I've never done one to know if it helps.

If you are on the fence about anything, you could remove the carapils and add that much more pils, if you have more. If you feel you need it, you can always add it to a second batch and see if it makes a difference.

Some good info there. I did some reading and it does seem like a three step mash would greatly help this beer out. I think you are right though about the carapils. It is almost overkill to use it. The wheat should also help provide head retention and mouthfeel enough that the carapils isn't needed. Originally I had designed the beer with much more base and decided to go a little wity with it and scaled back the base and increased the wheat. I will probably remove the carapils and increase my base.

All I have left to decide is if I want it to finish out clean and use an American ale yeast or more fruity and toss in a Belgian style yeast.

So after some more reading, the three step mash doesn't seem needed... Here is an update on the recipe:

Basement Beer

Style: Blonde Ale OG: 1.054
Type: All Grain FG: 1.013
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.37 %
Calories: 176 IBU's: 17.95
Color: 4.2 SRM Batch Size: 3.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.038 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 64.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
5.00 lbs 71.43 % Pilsner (2 Row) Bel 60 mins 1.036
2.00 lbs 28.57 % Wheat, Torrified 60 mins 1.036

Hops
0.50 ozs 11.77 Saaz 45 mins 4.00
0.25 ozs 2.33 Saaz 10 mins 4.00
0.25 ozs 3.20 Cascade 10 mins 5.50
0.25 ozs 0.28 Saaz 1 mins 4.00
0.25 ozs 0.38 Cascade 1 mins 5.50

Yeasts
1.00 pkg Safbrew WB-06 Fermentis WB-06

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
BIAB No Sparge 60 min @ 150.0°F
Add 20.78 qt water @ 157.0°F
Mashout 10 min @ 170.0°F

Carbonation

Notes

Sent from my iPhone

That yeast is going to give you more of an American wheat style beer,
not the blonde ale you were shooting for. FYI.

14thstreet said:
Let me know how the Cascades play with Saaz. Best of luck brewing!

Will do!
Jimmyjim said:
That yeast is going to give you more of an American wheat style beer,
not the blonde ale you were shooting for. FYI.

What would your suggestion be for a blonde ale then? I don't mind am American wheat, but I was debating between a Belgian style yeast or something like a California ale yeast. So basically banana/spice/ester or none.

Yeast wise, there is no right or wrong way to go.
I have a Honey orange wheat that Reno_eNVy_ posted here and is very popular.
I have used WLP001, WLP051, and the 06 with this beer.
My personal taste buds like the neutral-ness of the 001. The 051 was nice as well.
As I posted before, the blonde I brew probably once a month uses the 051 and is a big hit. Now I use different hops than you have in your recipe, so that plays into it as well.

Cheers.

Jimmyjim said:
Yeast wise, there is no right or wrong way to go.
I have a Honey orange wheat that Reno_eNVy_ posted here and is very popular.
I have used WLP001, WLP051, and the 06 with this beer.
My personal taste buds like the neutral-ness of the 001. The 051 was nice as well.
As I posted before, the blonde I brew probably once a month uses the 051 and is a big hit. Now I use different hops than you have in your recipe, so that plays into it as well.

Cheers.

Good to know! I don't have the ability to do a starter yet, so liquid yeast might be a little tricky. I am thinking about trying it with both the 06 and the us-05. The LHBS doesn't carry the 06 so I might go with us-05 or the Danstar BRY-53 (west coast ale yeast) for the first run.

They also don't carry torrified wheat so I'm going to use white malted wheat. Updated recipe:

Basement Beer

Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer OG: 1.057
Type: All Grain FG: 1.014
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.63 %
Calories: 186 IBU's: 17.64
Color: 4.5 SRM Batch Size: 3.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.040 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 64.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
5.00 lbs 71.43 % Pilsner (2 Row) Ger 90 mins 1.037
2.00 lbs 28.57 % White Wheat Malt 90 mins 1.040

Hops
0.50 ozs 11.57 Saaz 45 mins 4.00
0.25 ozs 2.29 Saaz 10 mins 4.00
0.25 ozs 3.14 Cascade 10 mins 5.50
0.25 ozs 0.27 Saaz 1 mins 4.00
0.25 ozs 0.37 Cascade 1 mins 5.50

Yeasts
1.00 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
BIAB No Sparge 60 min @ 150.0°F
Add 20.78 qt water @ 157.0°F
Mashout 10 min @ 170.0°F

Carbonation

Notes

Sent from my iPhone

So I won't secondary.

I am brewing right now and have changed only one thing: the yeast, I am going to use WLP090 San Diego Super. Details about the brew to come!

I'm not sure if I should bottle this weekend or not. Sunday will make 9 days.

I took a hydro reading today and this guy is about done. Some particulate is still floating on the top but not much. Ended up drying out to 1.012 just as expected and the sample tasted amazing. It was similar to a less sweet and non-spiced/citrus-ed blue moon. It's color is much paler though.

Considering the OG of your recipe was 1.057,
I personally would wait at least two weeks before bottling, if not three.
The yeast are still working a bit.
If you have the ability to cold crash, I'd recommend that as well.

Jimmyjim said:
Considering the OG of your recipe was 1.057,
I personally would wait at least two of weeks before bottling, if not three.
The yeast are still working a bit.
If you have the ability to cold crash, I'd recommend that as well.

Good advice! How would I cold crash it? What temp and time at that temp am I looking for?

I guess I got ahead of myself with the cold crashing suggestion.
If you keg, and have some type of fermentation chamber then it's easy.
Otherwise, just let them bottle condition.

Jimmyjim said:
I guess I got ahead of myself with the cold crashing suggestion.
If you keg, and have some type of fermentation chamber then it's easy.
Otherwise, just let them bottle condition.

Ah. Well no kegging yet. I'll be bottling these up this weekend!

14thstreet said:
Let me know how the Cascades play with Saaz. Best of luck brewing!

So I bottled this up today and gave it a taste. The saaz is somewhat masked in aroma by the strong hints of cascade's citrus.

As the beer hits the tongue, though, you get the bitterness of saaz and the slight peppery bite that saaz has.

As you swallow it definitely exhibits the cascade's ability to transform a beer from being malty and spicy to a sweet citrus. I get much more orange rather than grapefruit. I think this is partly the interaction of saaz and cascade and the malted white wheat.

Overall the beer is surprisingly sweet in flavor for having finished at 1.011 (my bottling FG). It is balanced well though by the saaz and the cascade adds a citrus burst that makes it refreshing.

Back