Summer Orange Ale - special occasion - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSheep92

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to home brewing having completed my third batch with not a whole lot of problems or issues (because of the help I have gotten on here from the members). For some time I have been wanting to make my own brew, with some help, more or less from "scratch", or about as much scrap as a new guy is comfortable with.

I'm a huge fan of Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale and was hoping to brew up an orange summer ale for my son's upcoming first birthday(for the guests, not him). I was hoping for a nice, crisp, smooth and refreshing summer style ale with a detectable orange taste.

As usual, I'm turning to the group for assistance and direction. Could anyone please offer some advice as to a recipe or direction of sorts regarding grains, hops, yeast, spices, flavors, etc?

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated. I'm also looking into a custom label for his first birthday celebration, which I think would be a nice touch (unless I totally screw the pooch on the batch).

As always, you guys are the absolute best and the FIRST place I look to for assistance.

Cheers.:mug:

Assuming you're planning on sticking to a low alcohol, session Cream Ale style. You can add an ounce or two of sweet orange peal with 10 minutes left in the boil. Cascade hops will prop up the citrus flavors too. Ferment it with a clean yeast. Do you have a target OG, FG, IBU, color, etc?

Ahoy!

I guess if it was my beer I might go with a wit recipe, swap out the majority of the wheat for a mix of base grain and adjunct and up the orange peel at the end. I (and most people I'd guess) use fresh citrus peels at the end of the boil, getting as much of the orange peel as I can while avoiding the white pith, just like in cooking. It smells great and has always been a nice flavor in the finished beer. For a comparison, my last beer used 8 small lemons' zest for 5 gallons.

I wish I had more experience with the beer you're talking about, this is just an idea.

As for labels, printing on Avery Stick on Labels is a popular, easy way to get your mark on a bottle. Also popular is printing on regular old paper and using plain milk of all things to stick it on the bottle. Sounds crazy, but the advantage is that the labels stay on when dry but slip off with a little hot water.

Lastly, I've seen guys use says-it to make some simple labels. Sort of Q&D but also an option.

I've tried it too to mark gluten free bottles I was serving once...
falschesbier.gif

Assuming you're planning on sticking to a low alcohol, session Cream Ale style. You can add an ounce or two of sweet orange peal with 10 minutes left in the boil. Cascade hops will prop up the citrus flavors too. Ferment it with a clean yeast. Do you have a target OG, FG, IBU, color, etc?

I second this good advice.

Back