Summer Honey Wheat is almost ready for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlieNH

Reaction score
I brewed a Summer Honey Wheat kit from the LHBS (beer-wine.com) and it seemed like a really nice kit. I used White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast (no starter) and it has been solidly and steadily fermenting for 10 days now. My first batch (a pale ale) had violent fermentation because I pitched at 80 degrees. This batch was pitched at 68 and held steady around 69/70 for the last week and a half. It had some nice rolling fermentation for the first three days and then a steady bubbling from the blow-off tube for the next week. Finally, today, the airlock bubbling has slowed to a bubble every 35 seconds.

I want to get started on my next batch (a monstrous Pliny the Elder double IPA) soon, so I will be transferring this batch to a secondary for conditioning. I will probably do a gravity test tomorrow and then Saturday to see if fermentation is winding down.

It has been nice to see this one steadily ferment, instead of the rapid, violent fermentation I saw with my first batch.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back