Summer Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappa42

Reaction score
This is a question for all you brewers down south, out west or anywhere it gets HOT in the summer. I just took up the hobby and I am currently brewing in my closet since it is winter and I can control the temp in the house. When summer comes, specifically when we get those 100+ temps in TX, it can be difficult to keep a cool temp in the home at all times. Do all you brewers in the warmer climates use refrigerators for your craft during the hot months. Just curious if I need to start thinking about that for later in the year.

If you don't have a refrigerator to use, you can make a swamp cooler - use a big plastic tub, fill it with ice water, place a towel or t-shirt over the fermenter and blow a fan on it.

I leave the primary right in the tub, wrap a towel around it, trickle water on the top out of the spicket, and put a fan on there to cool it down

The most practical thing to do is take an Igloo Ice Cube cooler and put 2 liter soda pop bottles of frozen water in the corners. Then simply swap out the bottles as they thaw.

Other people make boxes that they put one end over an A/C duct register with the cool air blowing inside the box.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13810

Other people have built an entire room or closet that are cooled with an A/C unit.

Back