Summer Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
I am doing a Wheat beer this weekend from kit..

Should we also be brewing Belgians in the summer months due to its higher fermentation temps?

Meaning they can handle the higher temps. I was told that the higher temps 80's yield banana flavors and the lower temps 70's yield a different flavor..

Thanks..

General consensus seems to be that Belgians are OK to ferment in the 70s, perhaps a little warmer, while other Ales it is recommended to keep 65-70F. To keep your fermentation cool during the summer wrap a wet towel around the fermenter and use a fan. The evaporation will lower the temps somewhat. If the bottom of the towel is sitting in water it will continue to wick water up onto the fermenter continuing the process.
Ofcourse a temperature controlled fridge/freezer is the best way for all types of beers.
Craig

Depends on your yeast too... Nottingham works well from 57-70F... whereas WLP300 like I used on my last heffe is recommended to be used at 68-72F. When you are talking "style" and temp, you are really talking yeast strain and temp, therefore it will vary. Id say anything over 75F for most yeasts and styles is tooooo high, I have never seen any recommended temps higher than that, and even those are rare.

What yeast are you using??

I have put my fermenters in the tub with water since it's getting hot down here in TX and I don't have a spare fridge for temp control.

Back