Sulphur smell, white material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldf150

Reaction score
I made an Austin home brew Texas blonde ale kit, used Irish moss ,primaries 3 weeks then bottled with the provided sugar. I noticed a significant sulphur odor in the airlock during the last 2 weeks, and white lumpy material floating in the top of the bucket. I thought it might be the result of the Irish moss. After bottling, I waited a week and opened one. Still unpleasant sulphur smell, white particles, and I was afraid to taste it. Only mistake I made that I know of was to use brewery cleaner powder as if it was the no-rinse sanitizing powder, due to a labeling error (mine). I plan to wait 2 weeks and crack another one . If not better, I dump 8 6packs. Any ideas what might be the cause?

Yeast gives off hydrogen sulfide during fermentation, some strains more than others. I would venture to guess that is all you are smelling. Give it the full 3 weeks to condition and you should be all set.

Even if you picked up an infection, it's nothing that can hurt you. Don't be afraid to try it after it has had a few weeks. If it still doesn't taste just right, wait longer. Time heals all beers. Or most, least.

So maybe it's just the yeast trying to carbonate the beer, eh? Thanks for the info. I will open one in 2 weeks and see how it is. I have discovered after 4 batches of home brew that home brewing is like flying. It just take experience and reassurance to get past worrying about every bump.

What temp did you ferment at? How much yeast did you pitch and at what temp?

What you describe could be a bunch of things. Some fine, some, not so fine.

I used safe ale k97yeast one packet sprinkled in after filling to 5gallons. sat in dark closet in a bucket 69 to 72F. Turned out quite pale and clear, except fot the curds. No scum layer, no haze. Then one I opened was about half carbonated.

It is a low flocculating strain, so I still think you have yeast floating around (curds you saw) and hydrogen sulfide (the smell). Could be wrong, but it certainly won't hurt to condition it a while and find out.

Double check the actual fermenting temp. If room temp is 69 to 72, then actual fermentation is more like 75 to 80. Could be a bit high; fermentation adds 6-8 degrees to room temp.

Back