Sulphur/egg smell with wlp570

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3agel

Reaction score
I brewed up my first attempt at a trippel a little over a month ago. Numerous things went poorly with brew day primarily that the manifold in my MLT came loose during the vorlauf and lauter...this however is not my concern. I still ended up with a good tasting yet lower OG wort going into the fermenter and pitched my 1.5L shaken starter into it.

I put the fermenter in my basement with a wet t shirt to control temps and got the least active fermentation I have ever witnessed. I estimate that the temp did not exceed 70F during the first two days and I left the t shirt dry after this.

I noticed a sulphur smell coming from the airlock about 1.5-2 weeks in and warmed the fermenter hoping the yeast would clean things up.

I still have the smell although it has kind of transformed into the sulphury smell of a winery if anyone knows what I mean. There's still an eggyness to it which has kept me from bottling since I don't want to trap the smell in the beer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of this? I thought maybe feeding the yeast some nutrient and sugar might wake them up and get them to scrub it out, does this sound like a bad idea at this point? I would like to bottle in the next two weeks but maybe I just need to be patient...

I just drew a hydro sample and the smell was there but more subtle, not sure if the agitation scrubbed it away with CO2. The beer tastes good but the sulphur is still there behind some other nicer fermentation flavours.

FG is 1.006 down from about 1.060, I'm not very good with diligent note taking. This sample actually gives me hope that perhaps a little more patience will pay off.

All you need is time. About 3 weeks. It will disappear with age. If you bottle it right now or in the next 2 weeks, it will disappear with age in the bottles themselves. Either way is fine.

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I'm gonna practice some patience. I'll update on the beer at bottling and after carbing for anyone else with a similar situation.

For what it's worth, I've found that a lot of German and Belgian strains tend to throw some amount of sulfur so don't think too much of it in the future.

I've used wlp530 in the past without any offensive smells, of course the temp was warmer for that ferment and it was much more vigorous. I have read that the low and slow fermentation of lagers puts out alot of sulphur and I'm curious how much of my experience with these two is time and temperature dependant or if there's a tendency for one to put out more sulphur.

I have some wlp550 in my fridge waiting for a chance to shine in my quest for my fav Belgian yeast.

Hmm I just bottled a batch of Golden Strong using WLP570 last night and didn't notice any sulfur. I used 85% Pilsen as the base malt and only boiled for 45 minutes, but it came out great. I do have a a small kegerator with an Inkbird that was used to ramp up the fermentation temperature over several days. I started at 68 F and added 1 F each day until it hit 72 and held for 3 days. After that I let it rise to room temp to help clean up and reach FG.

Latest posts

Back