sulpher smell from kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
I just made a kolsch yesterday and used wlp029 kolsch yeast. I was reading through my yeast profile book 2day planning another beer and happened to notice that in the wlp029 description it mentions sulpher byproduct. Any one use this yeast before and notice a large sulpher smell? is swmbo gonna kill me?

Depends on if you made a yeast starter etc. It's not so bad you can't stand it. Hefe yeast gets a lot nastier. Try to keep it around 60 degrees.

Mine was pretty rough...to the point that i thought the beer was ruined. It wasn't bad until you opened the fermentor. you'll be alright.

I made a helles using a Kolsch yeast in December. The sulfur cometely dissipated after a couple weeks in the secondary. It did smell like hell though.

Well i made a sulpher filter and I am using it on this batch, thus the questions i wanted to know if it was really worth doing for a beer. I originaly made it for the edworts apfelwein i am going to make in 2 weeks.

Back