Sullivan's Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast 3944
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Full body, zesty \"popping\" spicey orange flavor, with a hint of hops.
Here is my version one of my favorite beer styles, enjoy!
*Note: This is both stronger, and darker than traditional witbier, but the flavor is spot on.

7.0 lbs Wheat LME
1.0 oz Hallertau (Ger., 4.3%) 45 min.
1.0 oz coriander seeds (crushed) 10 min.
1.0 oz bitter orange peel 10 min.
0.25 oz paradise seed (crushed) 10 min.
1.5 tsp. fennel seed (crushed) 10 min.
5 cloves (crushed) 10 min.
Wyeast 3944 (fermented @ 72 *F for 3 weeks)

Grain elements:
1.0 lbs flaked oats
1.0 lbs 2-row pilsner malt

Partial mash grains with 1 gallon of spring water @ 152 *F for one hour. Sparge with another gallon of water. Transfer to brewpot, dissolve LME, and begin the boil. Be sure to thoroughly crush the coriander, fennel, paradise, and clove (but do NOT grind to a powder).

PS: color is in units SRM

Sounds pretty good. I guess I will add this to the growing list of beers I need to brew.

Question: You listed Corriander berries, I am assuming that means corrainder seeds. Is that correct?

Yes, thanks for the correction. The common name is Coriander Seed, however this is a misnomer as they are actually Coriander Fruit. But just for clarity I will change the recipe.

Shane

about how long did the primary fermentation take? I brewed a similar wit on Sunday and the fermentation is still as active as when it started.

no, it's still pretty active. I just need to have this brew ready to drink by July 13th. I didn't know that Belgian's take longer to ferment.

no, it's still pretty active. I just need to have this brew ready to drink by July 13th. I didn't know that Belgian's take longer to ferment.

You should be ready to go by the 13th since Wits typically don't need much time to age. Wit Bier yeast strands ferment much different than other ale yeasts in my experience. From what I have seen the fermenatation is so active it sort of beachs lots of yeast all on top of the krauzen and sides of the ale pale. So it could take a little longer.

Yeah, it's calming down now. The crusty, excess stuff at the top of the carboy is on top of the krausen like you said, and I was wondering if I should do a secondary as soon as all active fermentation is complete. What you do think? I know that this beer is supposed to be cloudy, but I don't want that sludge stuff getting back in the beer after fermentation.

I wouldn't put it in a secondary. Are you bottling or kegging? I go straight to the keg or bottle but sometimes the bottles can have a little extra sediment but really not that much. I say let it ride for 3 weeks in the primary then bottle/keg.

yeah, I'm bottling. Haven't been willing to spend the money on kegging equipment. Need to do it soon though. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Latest posts

Back