Sulfur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My latest batch of cider is ready to bottle. I stole a little out of the carboy with a wine thief a few days ago to top off a bottle of kombucha, and the cider smells kinda farty. First time for this. I did add yeast nutrient, but maybe I fermented it too cold or something.

Is this something that will correct itself in the bottle? Or do I need to add just a little sugar, roust the yeast sediment, and raise the temperature for a few days? Or will that even help?

Some people will tell you to just bulk age it longer. It'll go away on its own, or maybe develop mercaptans.

Some will say to gently stir/degas. Sulfide is volatile, so this should help.

Others will say to add sulfite and aerate. Sulfite prevents oxidation and actively reacts to remove the sulfide. If that doesn't work for some reason, you could then try copper. Options include copper pipe or liquid copper sulfate.

In any event, I wouldn't bottle it with sulfide; it'll stay in the bottle. If you are carbonating, consider adding some non-DAP yeast nutrient (e.g. Fermaid O) or some fresh bottling yeast so the yeast don't form more sulfide in the bottle.

I had a pumpkin pie cider do this to me, here is what I did to fix it. I am not saying it works everytime, but it did in this instance.
My base for for this cider was juiced apples from my tree(it had too much pulp from my juicer) and 2 sugar baby pumpkins from my garden that I had roasted then cooked slowly down to get a SG at 1.058. I didn't add any nutrients to it in the beginning i was out of state for the first three days after pitching my yeast. So on day four smelled to high hell of rotten eggs. It was bad. Tasted good though. So I add nutrients and yeast energizer and aerated it 2-3 times a day for i think the next five. Added some more nutrients and energizer and started stirring it with a copper pipe 2 times a day until FG 1.008. Guess what still stunk like hell. So I racked into a secondary. I loss about 2 gallons due to pulp. Said why not and added another 2 1\2 gallons of store bought juice and small but of sugar. Let it ferment to FG 1.006 STILL stirring with copper pipe and the smell started to go away. By the time I got my FG the smell was gone.
I now have 6 gallons of some good tasting pumpkin pie cider. I have no idea the abv is but it is strong.
I don't know if dumb luck bailed me out, time worked it's magic, or combination of the two but no rhino fart smell and tastes great.
I hope this helps.

Back