Sulfur Sulfur and more Sulfur...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing lagers for a while now, but the last two batches have had a really really bad sulfur smell. I know lagers have some, but man I couldn't finish the last batch. Granted it was almost done anyway. :D I'm trying to pin point what the hell is going on. I only brew lagers, but I'm getting frustrated. The beer also seems a wee bit heavy too. I not saying it's not, but it doesn't seem to have that crisp taste that I'm used to.

I usually brew a Helles, Pils or some darker brews like a dunkel, but the dunkels have come out find. I kegged an Oktoberfest a month ago and that seems good. I really love the recipe I have for a helles and have made probably 6 or 7 off this recipe, but I don't friggin know about the last two.

Just throwing it out there. I need to fix this. Thanks.

What yeast are you using? What temps are you fermenting at? What are your pitching rates?

Answers to these will help.

WL830. I ferment my lagers between 47-50 degrees. I have a fermenting chamber with a Johnson control and lagering chamber. I make a starter and step it up. I've been doing it this way for years for all my lagers. I'm trying to think what was different with the last two. The only thing I can think of is, because of the heat I might have fermented my starter a little warmer than usual. Also the fermentation was crazy for both the starter and step up and a lot blew out of the flask. Other than that, my process was the same. Maybe sanitary issue?

I think the only way to get rid of sulfur is time. How long are you lagering for? I once made an oatmeal stout with a lager yeast, I think it was wyeast munich lager, but after 1 month of lagering it had a sulfury burnt match aroma and taste to it and was in my opinion not drinkable. So I let it lager for another month, tasted, it was better, but it was still there. I let it go another month, much better, sulfur was barely detectable. One more month and it was the best oatmeal stout I ever made.

Yeah a d-rest might help a bit since c02 comes out of solution better at higher temps. Might help blow some of the sulfur out. Don't know if that would work for sure but I have heard of people venting the co2 a few times when in keg to help with sulfur smells in beer.

I have never lagered but I did get the sulfur smell on a cider I did. Adding yeast nutrient took it away.

I have also read somewhere on this forum that sulfur is a by product of stressed yeast. Not sure what would cause your yeast to stress but its worth a try.

Back