Sulfur smell from my airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuknkrvl

Reaction score
Hey everybody. Anyone use Wyeast 1084 and have a lot of sulfur smell associated with it? It's been in the carboy since Tuesday morning, fermentation is still going although slowed down a bit (don't need the blowoff tube anymore). This is the first time I've used this yeast and just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

What temp are you keeping it at? Its page at the Wyeast website notes that if it gets above 64F you get more esters.

I haven't used that strain before, but I know lager yeasts are known for producing sulfuric aromas, especially when strained due to underpitching. Usually it dissipates with time.

What temp are you keeping it at? Its page at the Wyeast website notes that if it gets above 64F you get more esters.

I'm keeping it pretty steady atound 66 F, some slight fluctuations here and there but not much.

I haven't used that strain before, but I know lager yeasts are known for producing sulfuric aromas, especially when strained due to underpitching. Usually it dissipates with time.

Hoping so. Gonna give it a full two weeks before I mess with it for gravity readings and see how it tastes then.

Back