Sulfur smell from molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorderReiver

Reaction score
I recently tried a 19th centuryEnglish porter recipe where the majority of the fermentables came from molasses. My issue is that somewhat sulfury smell from the molasses. I was hoping that the fermentation would dissipate the aroma, but no joy.

Any ideas how to get rid of it?

It will probably go a while to get rid of it. How long has it been in the primary?

Bottle conditioning will surely take care of that, so I would not worry too much.

It's been 8 days in the primary and 10 days in the secondary. I can leave it in the secondary for a couple more weeks to settle everything out, but I didn't want this as a still beer (I don't keg or get carbonation from added CO2).

Some molasses is sulfured. I'd be surprised if that quantity of sulfur went away after brewing with it... I've never done it personally, so maybe the yeast is hungry enough to chew it all up.

Brew another batch to enjoy while you age your porter.

Back