Sulfur in lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
Hey all- I brewed my first true lager a few weeks back, fermented with WLP820 24 hours @ 62 F, dropped it to 52 F for rest of fermentation, and raised it back up to approx. 60 F as fermentation finished. Lagered it for two weeks between 32-38 F.

I needed to turn over the fermentor today so I bottled. Had an odd sulfur or skunky smell. I don't think a lot of light got through the fermentor, so skunk is unlikely (although it was a clear fermentor). I know lager yeasts put out more sulfur then ale yeasts, but I was wondering if sulfur will mellow out. Don't want to sound like a panicky novice, just curiosity. Thoughts?

My plan was to just let these American lagers sit for 2-3 months for May-June, so maybe it'll fix itself.

Thanks

My gluten free light lager is in D-rest right now, and kicking off loads of SO4. The lagering period is used to clean up off flavors, sulfur in particular. I lager for 30 days minimum, your 2 weeks might not have been long enough.

It will probably mellow, and they remaining yeast may still clean up some of it. I am interested in an update when you get around to opening a bottle.

This thread has some discussion.

I will probably get a little better, but next time I would pitch at proper temp. 62 is too warm. Pitch around 50. It should help.

JRems said:
I will probably get a little better, but next time I would pitch at proper temp. 62 is too warm. Pitch around 50. It should help.

A lot of award winning lager brewers start warm, drop, and then rise Brewing a bock in a couple of weeks and will just pitch at 50 F. It should get better in cold storage.

A lot of award winning lager brewers start warm, drop, and then rise Brewing a bock in a couple of weeks and will just pitch at 50 F. It should get better in cold storage.

I pitched at 54 degrees 17 days ago and just moved it from the 50 degree garage for a D-Rest. As I carried the fermenter I got a whiff of the sulfur. Wow. Don't recall that before. I will lager it at least 4-5 weeks after the two day D-Rest.

Back