Sulfate/Chloride Ratio Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I use EZ Water and Bru'N Water both to calculate my mineral additions, but I always get this notification from Bru'N Water when my Chloride is over 100 ppm. I've never noticed any flavor issues with it being over 100 ppm, does anybody know why they make this recommendation?

I find that higher chloride levels gives me more maltiness.
I have a bo pils experiment going on right now where I made one with distilled water with mineral additions to mimic plsen water and another with my local water at 87.5 ppm chloride. I bet the one with our local water will be much maltier.

I also find that since our water is so high in chloride that I can go really high on my sulfate additions for IPA´s and other hop-forward brews
I most often use 400-600 ppm sulfate for IPA´s

The high chloride levels does hurt some styles so diluting with distilled water really helps

I use EZ Water and Bru'N Water both to calculate my mineral additions, but I always get this notification from Bru'N Water when my Chloride is over 100 ppm. I've never noticed any flavor issues with it being over 100 ppm, does anybody know why they make this recommendation?

If you click on the red triangle in the corner of the Chloride cell, it should tell you why it goes red. I can't remember what the reasoning is for Chloride, but my sulfate is always red for IPAs. I have been using way more than a green cell calls for. They say that's ok in certain instances.

In the very least, the RED cell might alert you to an entry error if you weren't planning on going overboard with either of those.

When chloride content goes over 100 ppm, the possibility of minerally flavor in the beer increases. However, its not always the case and its not always a concern in some styles. If you are happy with the beer, there isn't any problem with 100+ ppm chloride. Just be on the alert for minerally flavor.

Back