Suitable mini fridge for kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feragoh

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and am trying to get info on setting up my first keg system. I've found all the things I need locally and for a reasonable price, but selecting the right mini fridge to store it all in is sort of confusing me. I don't want to drill holes in the fridge, just using a picnic tap for now. I don't know very much about fridges and less about mini ones. I only want to put one keg in the fridge at a time for now..

I've got a few questions about this..

1) Will a corny keg setup fit in a 32" tall mini fridge that DOES have a small freezer at the top?

2) If not, can the freezer compartment be removed without screwing up the fridge too bad?

3) Finding a used fridge without a freezer compartment seems unlikely. None for sale locally that are in my price range.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Cheers,

Feragoh

corny kegs, with connectors on them, are about 26" tall. was your "32 inch" comment talking about the inside or outside height of the kegerator?

You very likely cannot remove the freezer compartment, because that compartment usually is the cooling plate. But, if you are careful you can bend it down and out of the way.

Thanks man,

It seems bending it back is the common consesus among the few threads I've read. I don't know if I'm going to risk it.. Maybe I'll just bottle until I find the perfect fridge w/o a freezer in it.

Cheers,

Feragoh

I don't think they sell too many fridges without freezers in them these days. If it was a cheap fridge, give it a try or try to find another cheap one on craigslist. I have a minifridge that I'm going to convert and have to bend back the freezer. Remind me and I'll let you know how hard it was. I should be doing it in the next couple weeks.

Back