Suggestions on what hops to grow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pompeiisneaks

Why that human mask?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of growing some hops at my house this year, and I know that I likely won't get much the first year, and the second year it will be better, etc. I've also grown many things in my garden, so I'm pretty good at that kind of thing. My biggest question, though, is which hops should I grow. I really only have room, from what I've read, to grow about 2 or 3 varieties, so which are the most commonly used? I figure that may be partly related to what types of beer you like, but any ideas will help.

Thanks

It really does depend on the type of beers you drink more than anything. Cascades are great for APA's and IPA's, and are very easy to grow. I'd also throw in some Fuggles for those English styles.

I started with Willamette, Nugget and Hallertauer. The nugget - which was what I least wanted - was the most prolific by a longshot. Your results may vary, but there is a site that has expected pound per acre for each variety. I find that I use my homegrown hops for bittering through the year - except for the hop bomb in harvest season - so keep that in mind. Your quality isn't going to be as good - necessarily - as what you would buy, so don't depend so much on these for aroma. Also remember that you will have these forever - so no pressure!

I started with Willamette, Nugget and Hallertauer. The nugget - which was what I least wanted - was the most prolific by a longshot. Your results may vary, but there is a site that has expected pound per acre for each variety. I find that I use my homegrown hops for bittering through the year - except for the hop bomb in harvest season - so keep that in mind. Your quality isn't going to be as good - necessarily - as what you would buy, so don't depend so much on these for aroma. Also remember that you will have these forever - so no pressure!

That's interesting that you say that because the Basic Brewing guys suggest buying your bittering hops so that you know for sure the Alpha Acid content and using your home-grown for flavor an aroma. I have no experience either way and pre-ordered both flavoring and bittering hops so I guess I'll figure it out the hard way lol.

Well, harvesting the hops at the right time and then drying them out is a bit of a trick. One year I left them too long and they were all a bit too lemony. The little yellow hop sacks are sitting there - ripe for the picking! - for a month and deciding when in that month to pick them is much guesswork for the first fw seasons. I, personally, find that the aroma hops are the most delicate and so I use my homegrown for bittering - and guess at the AA. If you are planting different varieties - plant them far apart and good luck! It's a great experience for a home brewer.

Without knowing your brewing preferences, it's tough to make any suggestions. If I was limited to three, they would be Fuggle, Nugget and Cascades.

I use homegrown for bittering by figuring I have average AA% and aim for the middle of the IBUs for the beer.

I planted Cascade and Mt Hood last year. Cascade did nothing, Got about 8 cones on the Mt. Hood. Hoping to see those cascade sprout this year.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm still unsure, I was thinking now, maybe some cascade at least... Yes I have decent room, I have a 1/4 acre yard, was going to put one group of 4 rhizomes (identical, I know you're best to keep them separated from what I've read) in each of 2 back corners and maybe a third in a front corner... This is good information to help me decide. Thanks for the help!

As has been asked, are you more of a traditional brewer or experimental? English? German? American? Belgian? That is really what you have to get to the heart of. Now granted some types may do better in your locale than others, your extension can probably help with that (maybe). The way I view it is one good method is to get a high alpha bittering hop going simply because imho it is more utilitarian to use high alpha hops for bittering and then flavor and aroma with another variety. It is very difficult (near impossible for most) to tell what hops are used in the bittering addition. Granted some hops that are lower in bittering compounds may have higher yields, but I imagine you see my point. Colombus (aka Zeus I believe) or Magnum is probably a good choice.

Any hophead would plant more aromatic hops than bittering. I have two bittering, one multiple use, four aroma/flavor and Sunbeam, which has yet to produce anything.

what percentage of bittering versus aromatic, would you guy's suggest planting?

I have been contemplating 2 bittering per one aromatic.

I would reverse that - I would plant more aroma/flavor hops than bittering. Most bittering hops are high in alpha acid and consequently not as many are needed in most beers.

I would reverse that - I would plant more aroma/flavor hops than bittering. Most bittering hops are high in alpha acid and consequently not as many are needed in most beers.
thanks for the help.

I think I will plant them here for this year, then possibly around the fence line

100_2110.jpg

Dave 42 . . . any theories why Sunbeam hasn't produced? I just ordered three rhizomes.

It really does depend on the type of beers you drink more than anything. Cascades are great for APA's and IPA's, and are very easy to grow. I'd also throw in some Fuggles for those English styles.

I planted Fuggles and EKG last year for my English ales. The yield for Fuggles is significantly lower. If limited for growing space, it might be better to grow Willamette instead.

what percentage of bittering versus aromatic, would you guy's suggest planting?

I have been contemplating 2 bittering per one aromatic.

Yeah you really only need one bittering. One like Colombus is really nice because it can indeed be used in other additions, especially mingled with Cascades it is really nice.

thanks for the help.

I think I will plant them here for this year, then possibly around the fence line

100_2110.jpg

That pergola will work great for hops. I would plant one variety on each long side to minimize intermingling - a real hassle at harvest time. Or plant all the same rhizomes and have a super harvest of one hop that you really like.

I went 2 Each of Magnum 12-17%, Chinook 12%, and Cascade 4-6%...we'll see how it goes I guess. I plan to plant in pots so my yields may be low...as long as I can brew my own hop harvest IPA I'll be happy.

Get big pots! You really want to plant these, I think, because they root like mad! Really, the roots spread out like 5 feet in the first couple of years. And that's what makes them flourish in latter years because they have strong roots.

If you plant it, you will be able to transplant it and propogate it to somewhere else, so unless there is an issue with the soil or the space or whatever, I'd recommend you try to plant them.

Sounds like you will have a very bitter and enjoyable harvest season!

I'm not really sure how long I'll be in this house so I'm not sure planting them is worth the trouble but I will be sure to get the biggest pots I can find.

What type of soil do you have? We have el-crapo clay around here, so I've gotten into the habit of using 55 gallon food grade barrels for growing. I chop off the top and bottom, bury them almost to the top in the native soil, then fill them with a mix I've developed. The open bottom prevents the plants from becoming root bound over time, and also allows them to access the clay for water -- while the light mix in the barrel is the growing medium proper.

I've had excellent results growing everything from watermelon to tomatoes to zucchini via this method. Far and away better results when compared to planting in the native soil. I'm going to go this route when I set up my hop garden this year.

I really only have room for two varieties, so I'm going with Goldings and Cascades. These two are pretty much the staples in terms of American & English. You might even get away with using EKG for continental styles.

They'd work above ground, provided you cut the bottoms out and planted them at least a foot or so into the soil for support. If you really had to, you could just use the volume of the barrel and drill holes in the bottom for drainage -- but this isn't recommended for a crop as deeply rooted as hops.

My father is a VP at a bottling plant. The fruit concentrates come in those drums. They give them away for free at the plant. Otherwise, I'm sure there's another place you could source them (off the top of my head, I don't know where). Another option would be to dig a hole and line it with plastic, bricks, etc.

Where do you get those big barrels and do you think they'd work above ground?

I got some at a localish Coke bottling plant. I got 6 of them to build filters for my koi pond. As soon as I told them what I wanted them for they were interested and VERY forthcoming. I got the impression that being friendly and talkative about your hobby went a long long way to getting what you want. ;)

For anyone in central OH. That plant was in Lexington, near Mansfield. Maybe it was pepsi.....anyways, whoever makes Mountain Dew. I had to empty the remnants of Mountain Dew concentrate

Alright thanks for the heads up. I'll figure something out. Got the ok to build a trellis but it's going to have to be in the middle of the yard to get full sun. Looks like I'll have to make a big planter to isolate everything and then bury some big barrels.

Here in NM, the desert climate and extended amounts of sunshine do quite well for Cascades (provided you do plenty of watering). I planted Cascade and Willamette last year and got a little over an ounce off of the Cascade. I have heard other people in the homebrew club say that their Cascades do the best out of their gardens too. My Willamette didn't produce a single cone last year, but it grew ok.

I'm going to plant a couple more this year and will probably try Centennial and something else...

Back