Suggestions on very yeasty cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hieron

Reaction score
Hey All - I've had a gallon of cider sitting in secondary for quite a while...I stupidly didn't write down when I started it and then got too busy w/ grad school and lost track, but it's been at least a month, less than two. Anyway I was just going to prime and bottle it but I took a little taste and noticed that it was extremely yeasty; more so than the couple batches I've done previously even at primary. I did press this batch from apples myself and the juice was waaaay stronger than any prepared cider I've used previously, if that makes a difference. Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should hold off on bottling and rack it into a 3rd fermentation for a while for now? Any other considerations a noob like me isn't considering? Thanks for any info; have a good one.

Mike

Hieron said:
Hey All - I've had a gallon of cider sitting in secondary for quite a while...I stupidly didn't write down when I started it and then got too busy w/ grad school and lost track, but it's been at least a month, less than two. Anyway I was just going to prime and bottle it but I took a little taste and noticed that it was extremely yeasty; more so than the couple batches I've done previously even at primary. I did press this batch from apples myself and the juice was waaaay stronger than any prepared cider I've used previously, if that makes a difference. Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should hold off on bottling and rack it into a 3rd fermentation for a while for now? Any other considerations a noob like me isn't considering? Thanks for any info; have a good one.

Mike

The best way to get rid of any residual yeast flavor is racking or filtering. I'd suggest racking it once a week for 2-3 times and see how it responds.

You didn't mention your yeast strain and I noticed with my first batches that the wrong strain could yield a more persistent yeast flavor. These days I prefer to use wine or champagne yeasts, such as Cuvée or mantrachet.

Mike

Yes, if this were a larger batch I would suggest using fining agents, but as it's only one gallon Gravity is your friend. Try racking and giving it some time!

Ok thanks guys; I appreciate the info! I didn't think it could stay that yeasty that long, lol; I guess it must be because it was home-pressed and there was WAY more sediment than in the previous batches I've done. Anyway good to know it'll still turn out! Thanks again; take it easy.

Mike

Latest posts

Back