suggestions on my first all grain brew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willey146

Reaction score
Hello all, what do you think of this recipe? what are your suggestions. doing my first all grain on Monday with all new home made equipment.

Grain bill is 4lbs 2 row, 2lbs 6 row, 2lbs of flaked maize and half pound of rice hulls. Saaz hops will be added at 60min and 5 min both half ounce each.

I will start with RO water and add the appropriate chems to reach a water profile of 62 Ca, 10 Mg, 0 Na, 70 So4, 89 Cl, 0 HCO3.

I will do a protein rest and sacc rest and a 90 min boil. I will use WLP840. I have made a 3.5 liter yeast starter (which looks awesome BTW).

any suggestions on improvements with recipe or procedure?.

BTW its for a friend and its name with be Robs carbonated pee:cross:

What size batch?

Efficiency plays a role in the process and if it is your first AG attempt, decent efficiency is not always possible.

+1 on naming the beer with something fitting to the light color and profile though. Pee sounds about right, but again, if that is what you like then it will be beer. Have fun!

Hilarious!!! This grain bill might be perfect your friend although with such a small grain bill I'm surprised you are bothering with a 3.5 liter starter. Are you brewing 5 gallons? Was the starter grown using a stir plate because if so it would be more appropriate, although light, for a 10 gallon batch. Are you actually going to take the time to lager this beer since you are using WLP840? I agree in that don't bother with the protein rests. I hope Rob likes it!!

Hilarious!!! This grain bill might be perfect your friend although with such a small grain bill I'm surprised you are bothering with a 3.5 liter starter. Are you brewing 5 gallons? Was the starter grown using a stir plate because if so it would be more appropriate, although light, for a 10 gallon batch. Are you actually going to take the time to lager this beer since you are using WLP840? I agree in that don't bother with the protein rests. I hope Rob likes it!!

its going to be a five gallon batch and the starter was without a stir plate. i will be lagering this

What size batch?

Efficiency plays a role in the process and if it is your first AG attempt, decent efficiency is not always possible.

+1 on naming the beer with something fitting to the light color and profile though. Pee sounds about right, but again, if that is what you like then it will be beer. Have fun!

It will be a five gallon batch, and yes im pumped to start on monday!

So how did brew day go? Hit your numbers?

i came out with 68-70% efficiany, all went good, i did a p-rest at 122 and a sacc rest a 148. OG 1.046, cooled wort to 58 and pitched yeast that was 58. placed in ferm chamber at 52 at 1700hrs. woke up this morning at 045hrs and it was bubling away!

Grats on hitting your numbers first time out. Fingers crossed for success. I've always understood lighter beers such as this one are tricky because they don't have big flavors to hide flaws. Has kept me from trying them so I'm curious to see how this tuns out.

Back