Suggestions on kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMichels

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying the super deluxe kit from Austin Homebrew.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=11358

Anything you guys recommend adding to that kit? Changing? Pulling out?

What about changing the plastic primary and the 5 gallon carboy with 6.5 gallon glass carboys? Pre chiller?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit- Also, I'm getting a Winware 40 qt Stainless steel pot as the kettle for this.

If it were my choice to make over again, I'd get the 6.5 gal plastic better bottle for primary, keep the glass 5 gal for secondary, and call it good. That looks like a fairly complete kit. Watch out using the floating thermometer - you'll find a zillion threads on here about them breaking - "is my beer going to be safe to drink???"

Keep your environment in mind. I constantly wish I had a glass carboy, however it wouldn't work for me in my current setup.

I live and brew on the second floor (extract recipes for now), and keep my beer in the more temperature stable basement, so I'm constantly lugging jugs up and down. Glass would actually be more of a hassle for me right now, as the plastic have handles and are much easier to carry. Not necessarily a recommendation - as I do wish I had at least one glass carboy and I could always do my siphoning in the basement - but something to keep in mind for your setup.

Have you considered searching on kijiji or craigslist for used kits? You can usually pick up an extra carboy or some other goodies along with everything you need for half the price.

Thats a pretty nice kit that AHBS has. The only things I would ask, are the obvious: Before you spend that kind of money, are you sure you really want to get into the hobby? IOW Have you tried other homebrews and really enjoy them? Otherwise, if you plan on using used bottles to start, you may consider getting a bottle brush. Also, you will want a carboy brush. Hopefully, Welcome to the addiction and happy brewing!

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm going to pull the trigger sometime tonight.

BigB- I guess I'm as sure as one could be without ever brewing my own beer before. I am a new member of a local home brew club, and grew up around people that brew (uncles, grandfathers, father) All of whom do not brew any more. I have tried a good number of homebrew beers and for the most part, like them. I have had a few ****ty ones as well! 90% of all the beer I actually purchase is craft/micro brew. I'm a fly fisherman (check out my website http://www.creekaddict.com), and have been for many years. I recently got married and had a kid. My days on the water went from 274 last year, to just 13 this year so far. I need to pick up a hobby I can do at home. I'm also into smoking meat (no homo)& photography. In the past, I haven't been one to just pick up a hobby on a whim and then just quit it. I know none of the previous hobbies have to do with beer, but really, a serious love for beer, tinkering, and bio and tech sciences is probably as much of a reason to get into this as any. I'm fortunate enough that a couple hundred bucks isn't that big of an investment for me. If I don't like it, which I guess could happen, it won't kill me.

Another question......

If I get a Carboy for a primary I guess I will need a funnel. For a 40 qt brew kettle, what size funnel will be acceptable?

I'm also into smoking meat (no homo)& photography.

Ok, now that I am done laughing my ass off! :D I just asked because I know a guy who thought that homebrewing would be fun, spent a ton of money, and then hated it.

As far as a funnel goes... this one is perfect... Just don't bother using the screen, it just plugs up.

Thank you much. Hopefully I won't hate it. If I do, I'll probably know a guy where you can get a super deluxe kit on the cheap. haha

Back