Suggestions on IPA and APA Recipe (Double Brew Day)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapa

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a good size IPA with a somewhat complex citrusy hop flavor/aroma. I think using Chinook to tie in Cascade and Amarillo will help me achieve this. I'm also doing a lighter APA for my brew buddy who isn't into really hoppy beers, but does like a little citrusy flavor. Let me know what you think.

IPA

10g Batch
65 IBUs (1.029 IBU/SG)
Color: 8.5
1.063 SG
Estimated FG: 1.008-1.012

Grain Bill:
20 lbs Pale 2-Row - 80%
3 lbs Vienna - 12%
1 lb Crystal 20L - 4%
1 lb Caramunich 60L - 4% (wanted more color and body-too much in addition to Crystal?)

Hop Schedule:
2 oz Chinook 13.3% @ 60 - 43.7 IBUs
2 oz Cascade 5.4% @ 15 - 8.8 IBUs
1 oz Chinook 13.3% @ 10 - 7.9 IBUs
2 oz Amarillo 6.9% @ 5 - 4.5 IBUs

Dry Hops:
2 oz Cascade
1 oz Chinook
2 oz Amarillo

Yeast: S-05 rehydrated

APA

10g batch
34.7 IBUs (.691 IBU/SG)
Color: 5.0
1.050 SG
Estimated FG: 1.008

Grain Bill:
15 lb Pale 2-row - 81.08%
2.5 lb Vienna Malt - 13.51%
1 lb Crystal 20L - 5.41%

Hop Schedule:
2 oz Amarillo 6.9% @ First Wort Hop
1 oz Amarillo 6.9% @ 10 min
1 oz Amarillo 6.9% @ 5 min

Dry Hops:
2 oz Amarillo
1 oz Simcoe

Yeast: S-05 Rehydrated

Thanks for any input or suggestions! Brewing these up tomorrow, so I can fill the rest of my pipeline for the winter. It's going to be cold outside, but better now than in January!

Cheers :mug:

My tastebuds have memories of an APA like yours and I think that would be delicious to drink (good hop schedule) and your grain bill will help balance. If your friend is not high on hoppy beers, you might consider eliminating the dryhop. If it were me, I'd do 5 gallons without and 5 gallons with dryhops and show him the difference. I wouldn't hesistate making your IPA as is either. The amount of crystal is about as much as I'd do in an IPA for what you want to do, IMO.

Thanks 14th! I was also considering splitting the flavor/aroma hops of the IPA and using all 3 hops for all 3 additions. I kind of want to mold the 3 flavors together as one. But I still like the sound of the additions as is. I will probably go ahead and dry hop one, and not the other APA. Looking forward to having some more HOPPY BREWS in the pipeline :D

Maybe try adding some Cent to the APA. I use Centennial and Amarillo in my pale ale, and it has a great citrusy aroma and flavor!

Back