Suggestions on amount to add.. Italian Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
I'm developing what I will call an Italian sweet stout. I have the flavor of a cannoli in mind, a find Italian dessert.

Three of the ingredients are likely going to be Coffee, pure almond extract and pure vanilla extract

In order to get these flavors to come out, I am wondering how much to use and when to add it. Do I add the ingredients to flame out, primary or secondary (or keg?). And do I add them at different times? For the coffee, do I brew a really strong batch or do I add coffee in the boil?

In any case, I want to get the flavors to come out, just need input from those know know better (YOU!). Help, I want to brew tomorrow!

thank you!

Got a good scale and some accurate measuring equipment? Get a six pack of your favorite commercial stout and experiment. .25 ml of almond extract in 100 ml of beer, then try .50 ml of almond extract in 100 ml of beer, and so forth until it's where you like it. Then just scale it up.

EDIT: I suppose I am kind of spoiled having a science and surplus shop right up the street, where they have graduated cylinders for 2 bucks and .25 ml pipettes for a quarter.

As far as the coffee goes I add 2 oz fresh ground coffee after flameout (in a muslin bag). Add when temp drops a bit (180F) and steep for 3 minutes then remove bag. I also add 2 oz whole coffee beans to fermenter a day or two before bottling/kegging. If kegging you can always adjust coffee flavor by adding brewed coffee to the keg if needed. If bottling adjust next batch. If you are using extracts you need to add a few ounces of beer to a glass and add a drop at a time until desired taste is achieved. Then figure out how much to add to 5 gallons. Do it before bottling or if kegging wait until beer is carbonating and add to keg.

I will likely use a vanilla bean or sticks, but the almond extrac per 5 gallons confuses me. I can always add more in keg, but should I put this in the fermenter?

Back