Suggestions for yeast replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to be brewing my first batch in the next week or so. Have been reading here to get different yeast than what comes with the kit. I got a Brew House Honey Blonde kit and am asking for suggestions on what to use in place of the kit yeast. I am fortunate enough to have several stores to chose from, but they may not all be well stocked, so if possible can I get a top three type of list and i will see what is available.

It is a Blonde?

Id get Nottingham, S-05 or WLP001... I use them interchangeably and they are available anywhere. I use S-05 in my Blondes.

Nottingham would work. It's cheap, it ferments clean and it attenuates well.

It is a Blonde?

Id get Nottingham, S-05 or WLP001... I use them interchangeably and they are available anywhere. I use S-05 in my Blondes.

I would go with Notty, but any of those would work. WLP001 is more expensive and requires a starter.

Id get Nottingham, S-05 or WLP001... I use them interchangeably and....wait a sec.

What yeast came with the kit? I'm betting it was Nottingham. Who's with me? Huh?

And why would you pay all that money for WLP001 if notty and S-05 are just as good?

Id get Nottingham, S-05 or WLP001... I use them interchangeably and....wait a sec.

What yeast came with the kit? I'm betting it was Nottingham. Who's with me? Huh?

And why would you pay all that money for WLP001 if notty and S-05 are just as good?

The kit comes with Coopers yeast.

If that is your logic, why do they even make WLP001?

He asked for the top three yeasts... for a Blonde, those are my top three.

If the two dry yeasts arent available, I will buy the WLP001, that is why.

Then what special attributes does WLP001 have that makes it different from the others? Is it specifically a Blonde yeast?

And by interchangeable, stock wheels and mags are interchangeable but which ones do you want? They both fit and they both go around but depending on the application one is "more" better than the other.

Is this really that hard?

They are three yeasts with similar attributes that work well in Blondes given thier attenuation and flavor profile.

That's precisely my point- they are all clean, highly attenuative yeasts (Nottingham slightly more so). If I want a clean neutral yeast character, it's US-05 or Nottingham every time. I see no reason to buy WLP001.

You guys are awesome.

He asked for three types, those are three types. I never said to buy the WLP001 over all the others, but it will give the same results.

I too never buy liquid yeasts, unless the brew NEEDS it due to the style I am brewing.

Thanks again, esp. Pol. I did ask for the top three recommendations and I see that is what he was giving me. I was asking this because I said I have lots of options on suppliers, but not sure on what they supply. From the posts, looks like Nottingham is the #1 choice of the majority.

Thanks again, esp. Pol. I did ask for the top three recommendations and I see that is what he was giving me. I was asking this because I said I have lots of options on suppliers, but not sure on what they supply. From the posts, looks like Nottingham is the #1 choice of the majority.

Yur welcome

<music band='The Cult'>
Yeast Replacement!
Yeast Replacement Machine!
</music>

Back