Suggestions for first extract brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennypapa

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm preparing to brew my first extract beer. I'd like to get some suggestions based on my setup and my tastes for extract kits.

I have a 5gal stainless pot, electric stove, fairly soft water, 5gallon bucket fermenter, and a basement that stays about 66 deg F.
I like Beers like Hefe wiezens, octoberfests, Shiner Bock is a fave as are Sam Adams summer ale and Blue moon... Nothing too high in hops, nothing too bitter.

So, What beers would be good for me to brew as my first batch and why?

Thanks all and I look forward to the discussion.

Ben

Hi Ben. My suggestion is to get a kit from a reputable vendor, many have a big selection. Look through the vendor list here at hbt.com

Stay away from lagers (temperature control) and really big, imperial beers (time). Have fun!

Hi Ben,

My husband and I just started brewing about three months ago and we have used several kits from Midwest Supplies with good results. They've got some awesome looking wheat beers that I've been eyeing. One other suggestion: our electric stove takes forever to boil water, so we started with a turkey fryer in our yard. It's faster, and boil-overs aren't as big of a deal. Good luck and have fun!

Laura

Electric stove brewer here also. Extracts can be easier for us, boil 3.5 gallons only. I center my pot over 2 "burners" on high. Gets the kitchen hot but cuts boil time way down.

A TF works well, but I would suggest using the stove for now since it is the first batch. Get technique down before you fill the house with equipment. And try an extract kit for now - everything is tried and true so you'll see how it all works. Hopefully!

B

I would suggest the American Wheat kit from NorthernBrewer. It was my first extract kit several months ago. It had great taste and was perfect for summer.

I also suggest a turkey fryer they make things much easier. If you shop around you can easily find one for $50 or cheaper.

+2 on the fryer....but back to the OP I think your best bet is to go to a LHBS or to a good online vendor like Northern brewer and get a pre packaged kit so you don't have to worry about not having something needed. I would reccomend for your first extract though something fun with a quick fermentation that you can drink young ie. 3 weeks or so. I personally would reccomend either a Witbier blue moon is a witbier or maybe a brown ale like new castle the second being a bit easier ( less materials ). remeber it's your beer so YOU have to be happy with it the hell with what we all think. have fun congrats on your new hobby and let us know how it turns out.

check out Midwest too. They have a bass ale clone called "brass ale". They have many wheat beers in various styles too. Many styles of kits to choose from. They've been fast delivering too. They use Fed-Ex.

Back