Suggestions for first AG with only Fuggles hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upstream

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im getting ready for my first All-Grain batch using the Brew-In-A-Bag method from down under (www.BIABrewer.info). I have pretty much all the required equipment for the process but am a little bit limited when it comes to hops.

I only have Fuggles pellet hops for this first batch so any recipe suggestions would be great. What I am looking for is a fairly forgiving recipe with alcohol content in the 5% - 6% range.

Below are the malts and dry yeasts that I have.

Malts (from Weyermann):
- Premium Pils
- Pale Ale
- Munich I
- Caraaroma
- Wheat Malt
- Carafa Special III
- CaraPils

Yeasts:
- Safbrew T-58 Ale Yeast
- Safale US-05 Ale Yeast
- Safale S-04 Ale Yeast
- Brewferm Blanche Ale Yeast

Thanks in advance!

Or a simple SMaSH with 10 pounds pale malt and Fuggles, say 1 oz at 60 min, .5 oz at 20 min and .5 oz at flameout.

This is along the lines of what I would suggest but instead of using only pale malt, I'd add in 0.5 lbs of the cararoma malt, 0.5 lbs. carapils, and 0.25 lbs of the carafe malt. That would give you a bit more complexity of flavor, darken it up to a nice deep amber color, and add a bit of body to it. Mash at about 152 degrees F and ferment with the s-04. You could also up the 20 minute and flameout additions to 1 oz. of fuggles. To get the ABV you want, aim for an OG of 1.055-1.060.

This is along the lines of what I would suggest but instead of using only pale malt, I'd add in 0.5 lbs of the cararoma malt, 0.5 lbs. carapils, and 0.25 lbs of the carafe malt. That would give you a bit more complexity of flavor, darken it up to a nice deep amber color, and add a bit of body to it. Mash at about 152 degrees F and ferment with the s-04. You could also up the 20 minute and flameout additions to 1 oz. of fuggles. To get the ABV you want, aim for an OG of 1.055-1.060.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to set this up with BeerSmith for a batch of 25 liters.

What color and bitterness should I be aiming for?

I'd aim for 12-14 SRM for color. You may have to cut back on the carafe a bit or cut it out entirely. It's mainly for color anyway so it's absence won't make a big difference. For bitterness, 30-35 IBU is a good sweet spot for an ESB which is the style this beer will probably be closest to. If you prefer your beers a bit more bitter, you could aim for 40. You'll probably need around 2 oz of fuggles at 60 minutes in addition to the late additions. Hope it goes well. And sorry about the non-metric units!

Well, this is what I have so far. Any suggestions / comments?
Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Fuggles ESB
Brewer: upstream
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35,0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6,60 gal      
Boil Size: 8,29 gal
Estimated OG: 1,053 SG
Estimated Color: 16,9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27,8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75,00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
11,02 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3,0 SRM)            Grain        84,03 %       
0,99 lb       Caraaroma (192,9 SRM)                     Grain        7,56 %        
0,55 lb       Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2,0 SRM)              Grain        4,20 %        
0,55 lb       Wheat Malt, Ger (2,0 SRM)                 Grain        4,20 %        
1,41 oz       Fuggles [4,50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         17,2 IBU      
0,99 oz       Fuggles [4,50 %]  (40 min)                Hops         10,6 IBU      
0,49 oz       Fuggles [4,50 %]  (0 min)                 Hops          -            
0,33 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10,0 min)                Misc                       
1 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)      Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 13,12 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Saccharification   Add 33,17 qt of water at 159,9 F    154,0 F       
10 min        Mash Out           Heat to 168,0 F over 10 min         168,0 F

Fuggles are a very mild hop, I would bump up the last two additions to at least an ounce and a half, and move the 40 minute addition to 10 minutes.

Looks good. Fuggle works best in moderate amounts. Too much and the earthy flavor can be distracting.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will be starting the mash on this one in about 5 hours...

Looks good. Fuggle works best in moderate amounts. Too much and the earthy flavor can be distracting.
Man the earthy flavor of the Fuggle hop is a bit to much for me. But at least my first AG was a success! But I am obviously not a big fan of ESBs.

Thanks for all the help!

Back