Suggestions for a quick beer while i wait for my big belgian.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massappeal120

Reaction score
West Valley/salt Lake utah (yeah I know our alcoho
Ok so I am just about to transfer my Belgian to the secondary tonight after 12 days in the primary. Which means one thing... room for a new beer! Here is the deal i know this belgian is gonna take a while bottle conditioning to get perfect, so in the meantime i would like to get something started asap that may be ready in 4 weeks or so. I like the sound of a kolsch though I am not sure on teh fermenting temps. I can ferment around 62 is i open my beer room window a crack and close the heat vents. But i have read that after fermenting in that range the kolsch should be lagered at about 30-40 degrees farenheit. Thats not really possible for me, as I do not have a lagering fridge set up like the pros. My question is that if I bottle it and refridgerate at around that temp, will that work? If not i might just wait until march when i can put my carboy in the garrage at 40 degree temps. Also i am not sure if a kolsch could be done in that amount of time? not to familiar with brewing it just like the beer. Other options i am considering is a heffe, maybe an alt (though i believe that has similar lagering difficulties)' or maybe something along the lines of a fuller's esp clone. but lately i have been on a continental europe phase. so i dunno. Anyone got any suggestions?maybe somethign german or other that i havent thoght of that can brew at room temp and finish quick? Any suggestions and or recipes would be awesome.

I recently did an ordinary bitter with dry yeast. About 2 weeks in the primary-another 2 weeks in the bottle and it was good to go. Just make sure it's fairly low ABV

two 3lb bags of amber DME
I used a slap pack with a starter for the yeast
1oz of pheonix hops at 15 min
1oz of fuggle hops for aroma, four cups of pureed raspberries and 1tsp of irish moss at 75 mins.
done at 1.5 hours

It's fairly quick and it should taste pretty good when it's done. It is fermenting along nicely at the moment.

Back