Suggestions for a light Color summer beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMH_

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a light Color beer to brew for the summer.
5 gal batch
We don't have a lager setup.

I'd vote for an american wheat, with noble hops. something along the lines of

5# 2 row ( I prefer MO)
5# white wheat
.5 lb crystal 20L
Mash 152, 1 hour

Hallertauer 1 oz 60 min
Saaz 1 oz 5 min
Saaz 1 oz dry hop 5 days

Yeast US-05

That there is a go to summer recipe, more or less. Simple Delicious. Make corrections as needed. Cheers

Assuming you're interested in an extract recipe because of where you posted your question, you'll want to covert the all grain recipes to extract. Extra light dry extract will give you the lightest color. Add 1/3 to 1/2 the total at the beginning of the boil and the rest at flame out. Boiling the lesser amount for the full 60 minutes will help keep the color light.

There are other threads that can help you covert the all grain amounts to extract equivalents.

The Orange American Wheat in the recipe section is pretty solid... Very refreshing and incorporates orange peel. Goes great with a fresh orange slice.

I like a pale ale with C-hops. I have made many variations... Cascade and Centennial are my favorites, though I use them as a base and add something else often.

I just brewed a Maris Otter/Chinook SMASH this past Saturday & by far, the lightest color I have ever brewed. Looking forward to trying this out in a week or so.

5# 2 row ( I prefer MO)
5# white wheat
.5 lb crystal 20L
Mash 152, 1 hour

Hallertauer 1 oz 60 min
Saaz 1 oz 5 min
Saaz 1 oz dry hop 5 days

Yeast US-05

That there is a go to summer recipe, more or less. Simple Delicious. Make corrections as needed. Cheers

I am fond of Summer Wheat Ales as well, though I would probably split your grain bill in half and add just enough corn sugar to stay right around 3%, using Mangrove Jack's M-27 yeast for good citrus character. Very light and refreshing. This year I might try US-05 and some fruit additions.

I am fond of Summer Wheat Ales as well, though I would probably split your grain bill in half and add just enough corn sugar to stay right around 3%, using Mangrove Jack's M-27 yeast for good citrus character. Very light and refreshing. This year I might try US-05 and some fruit additions.

That sounds like a really tasty meal replacement, although I'd have to keep the same amount of grain and double the volume because I'd be drinking that for breakfast. I don't see anything wrong with 12oz, 3% beer for breakfast.

That sounds like a really tasty meal replacement, although I'd have to keep the same amount of grain and double the volume because I'd be drinking that for breakfast. I don't see anything wrong with 12oz, 3% beer for breakfast.

Funny you should say that. I took a case on vacation to New Orleans last summer and had 2 pints every morning. That and a hot shower before looking for adventure.

I just made a batch of this. Mosaic/maris otter SMaSH pale ale. It's delicious. The lightest (color) beer I've made yet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=420922
No
This is good too. Pours clear and bright like a BMC, but with ale character .. http://brulosophy.com/recipes/brulosophers-blonde-ale/
No
This centennial blonde is great I just got the ingredients to make my third and forth 5 gallon batches.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42841
No
My Summer Citra Cerveza is quite good in the summer. Scroll down to version 2.0 for my latest updates...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=449595
No

5# 2 row ( I prefer MO)
5# white wheat
.5 lb crystal 20L
Mash 152, 1 hour

Hallertauer 1 oz 60 min
Saaz 1 oz 5 min
Saaz 1 oz dry hop 5 days

Yeast US-05

No
The Orange American Wheat in the recipe section is pretty solid... Very refreshing and incorporates orange peel. Goes great with a fresh orange slice.
No
Defalcos Gumbyhead American Wheat is pretty good for summer. Easy to make and quick turn around. The recipe can be found at http://www.defalcos.com/basic-brew-recipes.html?layout=edit&id=237.
No
I like a pale ale with C-hops. I have made many variations... Cascade and Centennial are my favorites, though I use them as a base and add something else often.
No
I'm surprised nobody has recommended a Saison yet. It worked for hundreds of years during the summers in France and Belgium.
Yes
I just brewed a Maris Otter/Chinook SMASH this past Saturday & by far, the lightest color I have ever brewed. Looking forward to trying this out in a week or so.
No
No
Bee cave pale ale Good stuff!
:mug:
No
I just started drinking the Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Ale kit from Northern Brewer that I brewed six weeks ago. It is fantastic! I brewed the all grain version, but here is a link to the extract kit.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/dry-dock-paragon-apricot-blonde-pro-series-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains
No
I've been wanting to make this Apex Predator clone. The recipe is for a 3-gallon batch, but you can math, right?
YES

I'm surprised nobody has recommended a Saison yet. It worked for hundreds of years during the summers in France and Belgium.

Yep. I just brewed up Northern Brewer's Petite Saison d'Ete, makes for a great Summer brew. I made it last year, was the first saison I ever tried, and really liked it.

Kolsch. Super nice summer beer.

Light, crisp, and usually a crowd favorite :)

i hate to admit this but, my go to light summer beer is Munton's Export Pilsner...a pre-hopped canned malt...20 bucks. Add a couple of pounds of sugar, 20 minute boil, I will an extra oz of Columbus hops and a bit of orange peel end of boil.

Too easy, too cheap, light, clean and tastes just like beer. It goes really fast, folks like it.

I recommend an extract version of Cream of 3 Crops. I did one last year for my BMC brother-in-law, and we killed 5 gallons in a week.

4 lbs Extra light DME
8 oz Corn Sugar
1 oz Willamette (6% AAU) 60 min
.5 oz Saaz (3% AAU) 30 min
1lb Rice Syrup Solids 10 min
Whirfloc 10 mins

Ferment with US-05, Cold Crash, Carbonate, and Enjoy!

little bit of an old thread, but I'd like to recommend this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=584568

but use Kolsch (Wyeast 2565) yeast vice the Northwest ale, and ferment at about 60 degrees for 18 days in Primary, and then secondary it and let it sit "lagering" sort of for about 30 days or so at a lower temp (maybe 48-52) to allow the additional time for the yeast to drop out of fermentation, thus leaving you a much brighter beer :)

Sorry...I just realized this is the extract board. Well....if you happen to have moved over to all grain, see above :)

I'll have to join forces with the Kolsch guys on this one. It seems to me that Kolsch yeast like WLP029 ferments out more closely to a lager style than some other ales making it a good and light summer choice. Don't know if it is just me, but dabbling with extract some time back, they all seemed to turn out darker than AG. Not gonna get on that bandwagon...just sayin.

Yep, another top choice. Some of the farm workers in France and Belgium were paid off in Saison beer.

SMaSH: 8 lbs 2-row, .5 oz Simcoe at 60 min, .5 oz Simcoe at 15 min, 1oz Simcoe at 5 min, Bry-97. Mash at 150*F. Basta

I just bottled a raspberry Hefeweizen last night.

3 lbs. Bavarian Wheat DME
2lbs. Extra light DME
.5 lbs. raw local honey
1 oz. German Tettnanger
Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan)

Half of each of the DME at 60 min. (1.5 wheat / 1 extra light)
All hops at 60 min.
Remaining DME (1.5 wheat / 1 extra light) at 30 min.
Honey at 5 min.

(Pitch yeast)

Add 2 lbs. of frozen raspberries after primary fermentation has ceased or krausen begins to drop. (Use more or less raspberries as desired and vary aging for more or less tart.) Remember, Hefe is already tart to begin with.

Let sit for a week or so and bottle.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467828528.444174.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467828541.129769.jpg

The first picture is an uncarbed sample. Nice pink hue and understated raspberry flavor and aroma.

Just legged a batch that's 2lb pils DME, 2lb wheat DME, .75 willamette @60, .5 oz meridian at 15. Grapefruit peel and chopped grapefruit at 5.

U.S.-05.

Summer pale.

I just bottled a raspberry Hefeweizen last night.

3 lbs. Bavarian Wheat DME
2lbs. Extra light DME
.5 lbs. raw local honey
1 oz. German Tettnanger
Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan)

Half of each of the DME at 60 min. (1.5 wheat / 1 extra light)
All hops at 60 min.
Remaining DME (1.5 wheat / 1 extra light) at 30 min.
Honey at 5 min.

(Pitch yeast)

Add 2 lbs. of frozen raspberries after primary fermentation has ceased or krausen begins to drop. (Use more or less raspberries as desired and vary aging for more or less tart.) Remember, Hefe is already tart to begin with.

Let sit for a week or so and bottle.

View attachment 360977View attachment 360980

The first picture is an uncarbed sample. Nice pink hue and understated raspberry flavor and aroma.

What size batch is this?

What size batch is this?

Looks like 5G from the photo (close to 45-50 bottles) and by my eyeball estimate this will be reasonable light wheat summer beer for 5G, maybe 4.5%?

I would NOT boil honey, ever. Boiling destroys aroma and honey is sterile to begin with, so I would add it before pitching, or maybe even at height of fermentation.

Looks like 5G from the photo (close to 45-50 bottles) and by my eyeball estimate this will be reasonable light wheat summer beer for 5G, maybe 4.5%?

I would NOT boil honey, ever. Boiling destroys aroma and honey is sterile to begin with, so I would add it before pitching, or maybe even at height of fermentation.

The honey in the boil is for additional fermentables without adding thickness to the body. Trying to keep it as light as possible for summer.

And yes, it was a 5G batch.

Back