Suggestions/Comments on first recipe (Copper Lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHog87

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, hoping to get some input on this recipe.

Background: This is a recipe of a beer that a local brewery makes which is AMAZING. I was skeptical of the copper lager when it was suggested to me and described "like an IPA." As a hophead I wasn't expecting much but, wow! This was great. I emailed the brewer and got a rundown on the grain bill and hops.

So I threw it into beersmith app on my phone and think I did it right.

My main areas of concern are regarding the hop additions. While I was directed which varieties of hops and when to add, I am no pro at knowing when adding which hops will gain the desired outcome. The numbers I threw in beersmith were totally arbitrary to gain a final IBU. So suggestions there would be great. Please note this is a BIAB style and its only 2.5 gallons as that's my limit right now. Thanks.

Recipe:
Brew in a Bag Style- 2.5 gallons (yes, 2.5 gallons).
OG- 1.075
FG-1.016
ABV- 7.75%
IBUs-84
Color-14 SRM

Grain:

-3 lbs 13.2 oz Vienna Malt (49.3%)
-1 lbs 14.6 oz Munich Malt (24.7%)
-1 lbs 14.6 oz Pale 2-Row (24.7%)
-1.6 oz Roasted Barley (1.3%)

Hops:

0.72 oz Simcoe (60 min boil)
0.29 oz Centennial (20 min)
0.29 oz Simcoe (5 min)
0.29 oz Centennial (5 min)

0.30 Centennial (Dry hopped 10 days)
0.30 Simcoe (Dry hopped 10 days)

Yeast- Starter of some American Lager yeast like Wyeast #2035

Mash Temp- 156 (going for full-bodied beer)
Mashout Temp- 168

For fermentation, I have a small fridge available to ferment at temperature conducive to proper fermentation (first lager for me so I'll have to figure this out but brewer said to ferment at bottom end of yeast tolerance).

Whatcha Think?

Back