sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ads123

Reaction score
I've heard that when bottling, a tea spoon of sugar is better than carbonation drops!

Is this right?

No. What is best is to dissolve your total amount of sugar into boiling water, then mix that into the bottling bucket with the beer.

There are charts on how much sugar by weight to use for x amount of carbonation.

And you should always measure the sugar by weight, not volume. When I bottled, I put the boiled sugar solution into the bottling bucket and then racked the beer from secondary on it. This serves to mix the solution while avoiding any potential oxidation issues associated with stirring.

agreed... use priming sugar and mix it with the beer while racking. I believe it is 3.4ths a cup for a 5 gallon batch but dont quote me.. i forget and am kegging now :)

It is best to boil it with a small amount of waterand then pour it into your bottling bucket then rack ontop of it. The movement of racking will mix it appropriately.

Back