Sugar vs. lower mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Train

Reaction score
I frequently see I/IPA and saison recipes with some sort of sugar adjunct for the purpose of drying out a beer. We know that mash temp can also be used to dry out a beer. Ignoring color and flavor contributions, and assuming each technique can achieve a desired OG and FG, how do these 2 approaches differ in the final beer? To ask another way, suppose you wanted to achieve a target ABV and final gravity, why choose sugar instead of additional base grain and lower mash temp? Would one approach result in a more desirable mouthfeel/body or other mash-related characteristics? Or does it really come down to color and flavor in the choice between sugar vs. lower mash temp.

I usually do both, but with the added sugar, youll obviously have a higher abv (with same grains bills otherwise).

Also, adding the sugar seems to lessen the overall maltiness of the beer. This is why I like using sugar for Belgians and IPAs because I want to accentuate yeast flavor for belgians and hop flavor for IPAs.

Ill do just the low mash temp for something like a hefe or pale ale that I want to be crisp but have a decent malt body

Back