sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colin_of_da_loops

Reaction score
i just started my first batch of home brew and the recipe called for 1 kg of sugar and used an online calculation and put 4 and a half cups of sugar but i realized after i bottled it that the convesion depended on the density of the sugar so im wondering if it will taste ok and if 1 kg of dextrose is actually about 6 cups

The sugar you added (or didn't add) isn't going to affect flavor as much as it will affect alcohol content. Sugar ferments out very dry and nearly flavorless. Most here would suggest that you use DME in place of any sugar addition since the malt will at least add some flavor and body to the beer.

Did you get a hydrometer reading on your beer initially? Simply put, if your OG hit what the recipe's expected orignal gravity is, you put enough sugar in. If it's too low, you didn't. If it's too high, you put too much in.

In a nutshell, your beer will be fine. Next time I would go the route of DME myself though. ;)

so i can use dme as a substitute for dextrose in a recipe? and if so how does that convert if the recipe calls for 1 kg of dextrose

Latest posts

Back